Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young - VMS

This is a discussion on Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young - VMS ; Visit http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/30th/index.html and see Mark Hurd talk about VMS!!! Post your own message at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/fb_30years.html...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 141

  1. Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    Visit
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/30th/index.html
    and see Mark Hurd talk about VMS!!!

    Post your own message at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/fb_30years.html

  2. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    IanMiller wrote:
    > Visit
    > http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/30th/index.html
    > and see Mark Hurd talk about VMS!!!

    In normal companies, it would not be considered a special event to have
    the CEO mention one of his products.

    And since HP is intent on circumscribing its discussions to only the
    remaining installed base, there is no rejoicing in having some clueless
    CEO implicitely confirm they have no intentions of growing VMS, or
    re-instating the engineering numbers needed to keep VMS moving forwards.

    Since Ann Livermore is still in her position, despite having confirmed
    in a major newspaper that Stallard's absolute blunder of May 7th 2002
    was in fact corporate policy even in 2007, then one cannot but conclude
    that Hurd agrees with this policy. (catering to installed base in the
    hopes that they remain with HP when they drop VMS).

    At least HP is now much more open about its policy of downsizing VMS out
    of existance and moving the few key ISVs such as Cerner to other HP
    products before VMS sinks.

    When VMS engineers were stating that there were no plans to move VMS
    beyond that IA64 contraption, perhaps they were sending a clear message
    that VMS is now in a dead end and the end is coming soon when IA64 is
    confirmed as a mature platform in a year or two.

    My only hope is that the vast majority of those leaving VMS will not be
    HP customers after VMS.

  3. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    In article <1193307403.906042.299730@o38g2000hse.googlegroups. com>, IanMiller writes:

    >Visit
    >http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/30th/index.html
    >and see Mark Hurd talk about VMS!!!
    >
    >Post your own message at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/fb_30years.html

    OpvnVMS is misspelled on that page! :roll:

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  4. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    JF Mezei wrote:

    > When VMS engineers were stating that there were no
    > plans to move VMS beyond that IA64...

    As there wasn't any plans to move VMS beyond VAX when
    *that* arhitecture was new.

    Or beyond Alpha when that one was new. And so on.

    Why whould there be ?

    You know, you aren't even funny anymore, just boring...

    Best Regards,
    Jan-Erik.

  5. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    On 10/25/07, IanMiller wrote:
    > Visit
    > http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/30th/index.html
    > and see Mark Hurd talk about VMS!!!
    >
    > Post your own message at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/fb_30years.html

    Comments about the web site:
    * The audio should not start immediately, or there should be a way to
    stop it. Everytime you navigate back to the main page the video/audio
    starts

    * When you go to the "Future" tab, the site thinks you're on the
    "Guestbook" tab and you can't get to the Guestbook.

    * Using Flash, when not necessary is a waste. IMHO

    * There's no link from the HP home page directly to this page.

    Other than that, nice site.

    Ken
    Using Managing VMS almost 28 years (started in February, 1980. V2.0)
    and counting.

  6. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    IanMiller writes:
    >Visit
    >http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/30th/index.html
    >and see Mark Hurd talk about VMS!!!
    >
    >Post your own message at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/fb_30years.html

    Here's my contrib:

    Do you remember that you want a VAX and VMS to run scientific programs?

    The compilers still have the highest quality and the capabilities of the
    debugger are great.

    I'm running HPC applications on my OpenVMS systems:

    Gaussian03 and Gamess (More will follow.).

    Both generated from the actual code. I've found some bugs in the code that
    is not been recognized under other platforms.

    Script started on Do 25 Okt 2007 13:24:14 CEST
    [root@vg3 checktst]# ./checktst

    Please type the full directory containing exam??.log [.]:
    /home/gamess/gamess/test_vms

    Checking the results of your sample GAMESS calculations,

    the output files (exam??.log) will be taken from
    /home/gamess/gamess/test_vms

    All jobs terminated normally, now checking detailed numerical results

    exam01: Eerr=0,0e+00 Gerr=0,0e+00. Passed.

    [snip] ....

    exam42: Eerr=0,0e+00 Gerr=0,0e+00. Passed.

    All 42 test results are correct!

    [root@vg3 checktst]#
    Script done on Do 25 Okt 2007 13:24:39 CEST

    Eberhard

  7. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    > In article <1193307403.906042.299730@o38g2000hse.googlegroups. com>,
    > IanMiller writes:
    >>Visit
    >>http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/30th/index.html
    >>and see Mark Hurd talk about VMS!!!

    Clicking on View Complete Guestbook gives:

    Page Not Found

    The requested document
    "http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/30th/guestbook.html" was not found on
    this server.

    And where do we see Mark Hurd ?

    Syltrem

  8. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    In article <13i17oeeapnhj54@corp.supernews.com>,
    "Syltrem" writes:

    >> In article <1193307403.906042.299730@o38g2000hse.googlegroups. com>,
    >> IanMiller writes:
    >>>Visit
    >>>http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/30th/index.html
    >>>and see Mark Hurd talk about VMS!!!
    >>>

    > Clicking on View Complete Guestbook gives:
    >
    > Page Not Found
    >

    > The requested document
    > "http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/30th/guestbook.html" was not found on
    > this server.
    >

    > And where do we see Mark Hurd ?

    It's thursday, wouldn't that be the golf course?

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  9. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    Syltrem wrote:

    > And where do we see Mark Hurd ?

    I'm not sure who "we" are but *I* see (and
    hear him) under the "Introduction" tab...

    Jan-Erik.

  10. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    Ken Robinson wrote:
    > * Using Flash, when not necessary is a waste. IMHO

    HP is a wintel company and they cater to wintel customers. They don't
    even realise that many of their VMS customers would actually try to
    access that page from a VMS workstation. Remember that within HP, VMS is
    just a legacy server OS and nobody is expected to be using VMS on a
    workstation.

    > * There's no link from the HP home page directly to this page.

    What did you expect ? Ann Livermore made it very clear this summer (in a
    Computerworld interview) that Scott Stallard's original statements of
    May 7th 2002 were not a mistake and that they really did represent
    official HP policy since she pretty much re-iterated them 5 years later.

    Since they are not interested in attracting new customers to VMS, there
    is no need to steer eyeballs from the main HP web site to the VMS site.

    You can't fault the VMS supporters within HP. They have been limited to
    a pretty small sand box and not allowed to play outside of it. But at
    one point, one must start to question whether it is worth prolonging
    VMS's life when you know the owner has no interest in its growth/success
    and just wants to migrate customers to other HP platforms.

    Every year that VMS goes on with limited development resources, it will
    start to lag other OS more and more and more. And eventually, due to
    lack of modernised email software, it may even be unable to participate
    in the internet because it will lack modern features require to bypass
    spam filters.

    Every year that VMS lags in development, it will just emphasise the
    decline of VMS from its heydays as a market and technology leader to its
    current status as a forgotten legacy OS.

    Stallard/Livermore's message also made it clear that since they are
    interested in moving VMS customers to other HP products, they aren't
    about to sell VMS to someone willing to leverage the full potential of
    this great OS.

    When Compaq bought Digital, Pfeiffer gave us great hopes. Pfeiffer was
    ousted and replaced by some incompetant twit who ended up screwing us
    royally. HP has confirmed over the span of the 5 years they have owned
    VMS that they have no interest in changing the course set by Palmer and
    followed by Curly. Hurd had a chance to make "under new management"
    significant changes for VMS, but he instead chose to allow Livermore to
    tell Computerworld what Stallard had told us 5 years earlier.

    When Titanic was sinking, they had musicians playing till the very end
    to continue the appearance of a functioning luxury ship, but at one
    point, the music stopped, the ship broke apart and sank very fast.

    HP doesn't care about all the people who have bet their careers on VMS
    and whose skills are now worthless and unmarketable, we're going down
    with the ship and it won't affect any of their real customers on Wintel
    and HP-UX. HP will give us a bit of music to appease us, and keep
    telling us that the ship is unsinkable and to not worry about the rising
    water. At one point, HP will make an announcement that the ship cannot
    be recovered and will sink momentarily.

  11. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    > HP doesn't care about all the people who have bet their careers on VMS and
    > whose skills are now worthless and unmarketable, we're going down with the
    > ship and it won't affect any of their real customers on Wintel and HP-UX.
    > HP will give us a bit of music to appease us, and keep telling us that the
    > ship is unsinkable and to not worry about the rising water. At one point,
    > HP will make an announcement that the ship cannot be recovered and will
    > sink momentarily.

    I won't be able to attend the webcast tomorrow.

    Can someone ask Martin Fink (at the webcast) why there's not a link on the
    www.hp.com page to that 30 years celebration ?
    That's not expensive to do at all, and would add some visibility.
    After all, HP is celebrating, or is it not.?

    Please do not answer ! Let Mr. Fink do.

    Thanks
    Syltrem

  12. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    JF Mezei wrote:
> [...]

    > followed by Curly. Hurd had a chance to make "under new management"
    > significant changes for VMS, but he instead chose to allow Livermore to
    > tell Computerworld what Stallard had told us 5 years earlier.
    >
    > When Titanic was sinking, they had musicians playing till the very end
    > to continue the appearance of a functioning luxury ship, but at one
    > point, the music stopped, the ship broke apart and sank very fast.
    >
    > HP doesn't care about all the people who have bet their careers on VMS
    > and whose skills are now worthless and unmarketable, we're going down
    > with the ship and it won't affect any of their real customers on Wintel
    > and HP-UX. HP will give us a bit of music to appease us, and keep
    > telling us that the ship is unsinkable and to not worry about the rising
    > water. At one point, HP will make an announcement that the ship cannot

    Very frankly put. Here we call people who bring up uneasy facts "disgust
    realists". :-)

  13. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    In article <4720a9c4$0$3528$9b536df3@news.fv.fi>,
    Uusimäki writes:
> [...]

    >> significant changes for VMS, but he instead chose to allow Livermore to
    >> tell Computerworld what Stallard had told us 5 years earlier.
    >>
    >> When Titanic was sinking, they had musicians playing till the very end
    >> to continue the appearance of a functioning luxury ship, but at one
    >> point, the music stopped, the ship broke apart and sank very fast.
    >>
    >> HP doesn't care about all the people who have bet their careers on VMS
    >> and whose skills are now worthless and unmarketable, we're going down
    >> with the ship and it won't affect any of their real customers on Wintel
    >> and HP-UX. HP will give us a bit of music to appease us, and keep
    >> telling us that the ship is unsinkable and to not worry about the rising
    >> water. At one point, HP will make an announcement that the ship cannot
    >> be recovered and will sink momentarily.

    > Very frankly put. Here we call people who bring up uneasy facts "disgust

    In this newsgroup they usually just shoot the messenger and continue
    along the same old path happily sprinkling rosebuds all around.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  14. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    In article <13i1a58g2puui17@corp.supernews.com>,
    "Syltrem" wrote:

    > I won't be able to attend the webcast tomorrow.
    >
    > Can someone ask Martin Fink (at the webcast) why there's not a link on the
    > www.hp.com page to that 30 years celebration ?
    > That's not expensive to do at all, and would add some visibility.
    > After all, HP is celebrating, or is it not.?
    >
    > Please do not answer ! Let Mr. Fink do.

    I _would_ make the time to attend the webcast, but the silly buggers
    told me this in an email:

    --- start quote ---
    First Time Participant Registration Instructions:

    1. Go to http://www.regontap.com/encompass/index.html

    6. Please note the RegonTap registration website will NOT work with Mac
    or Linux machines.

    Gerhard Wedenig
    Chairman HP-Interex EMEA
    E-Mail: hp-interex-communications@associationhq.com

    --- end quote ---

    It's ****ing disgusting.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  15. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    "Syltrem" wrote:

    > > In article <1193307403.906042.299730@o38g2000hse.googlegroups. com>,
    > > IanMiller writes:
    > >>Visit
    > >>http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/30th/index.html
    > >>and see Mark Hurd talk about VMS!!!
    > >>

    > Clicking on View Complete Guestbook gives:
    >
    > Page Not Found
    >

    > The requested document
    > "http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/30th/guestbook.html" was not found on
    > this server.

    The guestbook was definitely there earlier. I reckon that someone posted
    something unpleasant so they simply deleted the file.

    Oh thanks a bunch to whoever did that; it means I'm not going to point a
    load of folks there.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  16. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, P. Sture wrote:

    > 6. Please note the RegonTap registration website will NOT work with
    > Mac or Linux machines.

    I note that VMS is not on the list of machines it will not work on.

    --

    Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
    G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (780)438-9343 (voice)

  17. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    In article ,
    Rob Brown wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, P. Sture wrote:
    >
    > > 6. Please note the RegonTap registration website will NOT work with
    > > Mac or Linux machines.

    > I note that VMS is not on the list of machines it will not work on.

    LOL! You just cheered me up there :-)

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  18. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    In article ,
    Rob Brown writes:
    > On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, P. Sture wrote:
    >
    >> 6. Please note the RegonTap registration website will NOT work with
    >> Mac or Linux machines.

    > I note that VMS is not on the list of machines it will not work on.

    Are you taking bets? Guess which side I would bet on?

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  19. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    On 10/25/07, P. Sture wrote:
    > > Clicking on View Complete Guestbook gives:
    > >
    > > Page Not Found

    [snip]

    > The guestbook was definitely there earlier. I reckon that someone posted
    > something unpleasant so they simply deleted the file.
    >
    > Oh thanks a bunch to whoever did that; it means I'm not going to point a
    > load of folks there.

    This was just a wrong URL in the site. It was fixed. The guestbook is
    still there.

    Ken

  20. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    In article <5oc1rnFkl53uU1@mid.individual.net>, bill@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

    > Are you taking bets? Guess which side I would bet on?

    As usual, you'ld be wrong (I just tried it).

    Mozilla build 2002052008, OpenVMS Alpha V7.2-1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast