On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:06:57 GMT, Jan-Erik Söderholm
wrote:

>OK, neither a hint nor an answer, more like
>a shoot in the dark... :-)
>
>VMS is Virus Free wrote:
>
>Try somthing like :
>
> > $ create/dir disk:[a.a1]
> > $ create/dir disk:[a.a2]
> > $ create/dir disk:[a.a3]
> >
> > $ def/sys/tran=(con,term) f_root -
> > $ disk:[a.a1.], -
> > $ disk:[a.a2.], -
> > $ disk:[a.a3.]
> >
> > Move some files around...
> >
> > $ admin add share/dir test f_root:[000000] -
> > /desc="Searchlist version"
> >

>It works from plain DCL anyway. Not tested with PW...
>
>Jan-Erik.

Good guess; seems entirely reasonable, Pathworks even lets you mount
the "disk", and you can map the drive from Windows Explorer, you can
even create new files on the share.

However, when you get to the drive on Windows, all you see are the
files in the first searchlist translation. The technique works okay on
VMS: you see all files as if they were in one directory. My guess is
that, when Pathworks looks for the files, the developer never
considered the possibility of using a searchlist such as this and thus
never walked the translations. My guess is that the code uses the old
$TRAN (or whatever it was called) rather than the $TRNLNM system
service or it uses the newer one but doesn't do the looping needed to
catch all files.