OT: MAC OS-X or Linux ? - VMS

This is a discussion on OT: MAC OS-X or Linux ? - VMS ; Ron Johnson wrote: > On 10/28/07 21:38, Jeff Campbell wrote: >> Ron Johnson wrote: >>> On 10/27/07 22:19, Jeff Campbell wrote: >>>> VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote: >>>>> In article , Jeff Campbell >>>>> writes: >>>>> {...snip...} >>>>>>> When the VNC server ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 44 of 44

  1. Re: MAC OS-X or Linux ?

    Ron Johnson wrote:
    > On 10/28/07 21:38, Jeff Campbell wrote:
    >> Ron Johnson wrote:

    >>> Only if there's someone there to log in at the console...

    >> Which part of 'Telnet in' don't you understand? 8-) 8-)

    > But don't you usually lose VNC when the network dies? And you can't
    > telnet when the network's down.
    >
    > Hmmm. Or are you referring to unstable Windows causing VNC to hang?
    > But in that case, telnetd might be hung too.

    Brian didn't say but I assumed from his question the the VNC server
    was crashing for some reason, not that he'd lost network access.

    If windows has gone out to lunch then all bets are off anyway. 8-)

    Jeff

  2. Re: MAC OS-X or Linux ?

    In article <1193666954_15493@sp12lax.superfeed.net>, Jeff Campbell writes:

    >Ron Johnson wrote:

    >>> Which part of 'Telnet in' don't you understand? 8-) 8-)

    >> But don't you usually lose VNC when the network dies? And you can't
    >> telnet when the network's down.
    >>
    >> Hmmm. Or are you referring to unstable Windows causing VNC to hang?
    >> But in that case, telnetd might be hung too.
    >>

    >Brian didn't say but I assumed from his question the the VNC server
    >was crashing for some reason, not that he'd lost network access.
    >
    >If windows has gone out to lunch then all bets are off anyway. 8-)

    I'll let you know next time the site is inaccessible via VNC. I have
    telnet setup so I should be able to log in.

    I'm looking at a web page that explains all of the steps to get OpenSSH
    running on Weendoze 2003. An awful long list of manual steps to get it
    up and running.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  3. Re: MAC OS-X or Linux ?

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article <1193666954_15493@sp12lax.superfeed.net>, Jeff Campbell writes:
    >>
    >> Ron Johnson wrote:

    >>> But don't you usually lose VNC when the network dies? And you can't
    >>> telnet when the network's down.
    >>>
    >>> Hmmm. Or are you referring to unstable Windows causing VNC to hang?
    >>> But in that case, telnetd might be hung too.
    >>>

    >> Brian didn't say but I assumed from his question the the VNC server
    >> was crashing for some reason, not that he'd lost network access.
    >>
    >> If windows has gone out to lunch then all bets are off anyway. 8-)

    > I'll let you know next time the site is inaccessible via VNC. I have
    > telnet setup so I should be able to log in.
    >
    > I'm looking at a web page that explains all of the steps to get OpenSSH
    > running on Weendoze 2003. An awful long list of manual steps to get it
    > up and running.

    I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but you might take a look at

    Jeff

  4. Re: MAC OS-X or Linux ?

    P. Sture wrote:
    > In article <1acdd$4720ab25$cef8887a$15776@TEKSAVVY.COM>,
    > JF Mezei wrote:
    >> While I still haven't found a way to telnet into the mac, I can ssh into
    >> it and issue plenty of unix commands. And I can run X applications on
    >> the mac that display on an x terminal. (But the native mac applications
    >> don't do that).

    > That's because telnet comes disabled "out of the box", which is as it
    > should be. I'll agree it's a bit of a swine to enable when you do want
    > it for something.

    It has become disabled by default on a lot of platforms.

    Arne

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3