SUBMIT command - VMS

This is a discussion on SUBMIT command - VMS ; On Oct 24, 12:59 pm, AEF wrote: > On Oct 24, 10:39 am, davi...@alpha2.mdx.ac.uk wrote: > > > > > In article , a13...@yahoo.com writes: > > >Hello, > > > >About Submit command, if I use /user=scott, dose VMS ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 81 to 87 of 87

  1. Re: SUBMIT command

    On Oct 24, 12:59 pm, AEF wrote:
    > On Oct 24, 10:39 am, davi...@alpha2.mdx.ac.uk wrote:
    >

    > > In article <1193149624.407810.325...@t8g2000prg.googlegroups.c om>, a13...@yahoo.com writes:
    > > >Hello,

    > > >About Submit command, if I use /user=scott, dose VMS check user's
    > > >password?

    > > Assuming the node has a SYS$BATCH queue setup then you might be able to try
    > > submit/remote which allows you to specify a username and password to run the
    > > job under eg

    > > submit/remote yournode"scott password"::test1.com

    > > should run test1.com which resides in scott's home directory under scott's
    > > account

    > > submit/remote yournode"scott password"::device:[account]test2.com

    > > should run test2.com under scott's account provided scott has the required
    > > access to the file device:[account]test2.com

    > > David Webb
    > > Security team leader
    > > CCSS
    > > Middlesex University

    > > >Thanks

    > Of course! And don't forget to put the pinter-suppressor line at the
    > top of the com file: $ DEFINE SYS$PRINT NOSUCHQUE ! to prevent the
    > deletion and printing of the log file. (I saw this trick in this
    > newsgroup years ago.)
    >
    > AEF

    Better yet:

    $ IF (F$MODE().EQS."BATCH") THEN DEFINE SYS$PRINT NOSUCHQUE

    AEF

  2. Re: SUBMIT command

    In article , koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    > In article <7a60d$471f8707$cef8887a$31797@TEKSAVVY.COM>, JF Mezei writes:
    >>
    >> Well, there you go. One HUGE reason why the roughly 1/3 of the installed
    >> base is still on VAX and why Alpha failed and why that IA64 contraption
    >> will fail too: LACK OF SUPPORT FOR PUNCHED CARDS !
    >>
    >> :-)

    > Oh, come now, VAX succeeded without support for paper tape, didn't
    > it? 8-)

    Plug in an ASR-33 to a DZ-11 and you got a blazingly fast 10 cps paper
    tape reader/paper tape punch.

  3. Re: SUBMIT command

    briggs@encompasserve.org wrote:

    > Plug in an ASR-33 to a DZ-11 and you got a blazingly
    > fast 10 cps paper tape reader/paper tape punch.

    There wasn't any need for any specific support for
    a tape punch/read, was it. Just hook it up to any
    serial port. I think we had this one running once :

    http://www.science.uva.nl/museum/facit4070.html

    75 cps.

    Jan-Erik.

  4. Re: SUBMIT command

    In article , briggs@encompasserve.org writes:

    > Plug in an ASR-33 to a DZ-11 and you got a blazingly fast 10 cps paper
    > tape reader/paper tape punch.

    Yeah, I was thinking about the fan-fold on our PDP-11 console and
    forgot about serial terminals with built-in roll paper tape support.

  5. Re: unix "batch processing"

    In article , =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?= writes:

    > BAT using the /USER switch, maybe ?
    >
    > http://vms.process.com/scripts/files...leserv.com?BAT

    Nope, I rolled my own, probably in Fortran, and it only supported
    one command (so I could know what all the relavent logicals and
    DCL symbols were without using unsupported APIs to pick up all
    the logicals and DCL symbols).

  6. Re: SUBMIT command

    In article ,
    briggs@encompasserve.org wrote:

    > In article ,
    > koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    > > In article <7a60d$471f8707$cef8887a$31797@TEKSAVVY.COM>, JF Mezei
    > > writes:
    > >>
    > >> Well, there you go. One HUGE reason why the roughly 1/3 of the installed
    > >> base is still on VAX and why Alpha failed and why that IA64 contraption
    > >> will fail too: LACK OF SUPPORT FOR PUNCHED CARDS !
    > >>
    > >> :-)

    > > Oh, come now, VAX succeeded without support for paper tape, didn't
    > > it? 8-)

    > Plug in an ASR-33 to a DZ-11 and you got a blazingly fast 10 cps paper
    > tape reader/paper tape punch.

    Please remind me. I know that card readers could do better than that,
    but could a TU58?

    (specially using boot tapes where the files weren't in optimal order)

    ;-)

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  7. Re: unix "batch processing"

    Larry Kilgallen wrote:

    > I can think of no situation on VMS where sharing of passwords would be
    > reasonable (single user systems do not count, since there iws no sharing).

    I 'own' several VMS accounts. I try to keep the various jobs separated
    by account, but I hold all the passwords to those accounts. Furthermore
    we have a few common accounts among a couple groups of people since we
    don't want to change all the control and display screens at every
    shift-change.

    .... fred bach Opinions are my own.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5