Adobe SVG client scripting - Not that it matters. . . - VMS

This is a discussion on Adobe SVG client scripting - Not that it matters. . . - VMS ; Hi, Has anyone here had any experience with Adobe's SVG DOM and client-side Scripting? (NO, I am not interested in some wanker who may have managed to cobble CGI or some other server-side bollocks together to create a dodgy-named, insecure, ...

  1. Adobe SVG client scripting - Not that it matters. . .

    Hi,

    Has anyone here had any experience with Adobe's SVG DOM and client-side
    Scripting?

    (NO, I am not interested in some wanker who may have managed to cobble CGI
    or some other server-side bollocks together to create a dodgy-named,
    insecure, disk file that is to be later served up by some crappy HTTP
    server! I am interested in what Adobe's interested in, and that is
    client-side graph and animation-building based on data served up from a
    secure, high-performance Application Server. (Parallelism - What's it all
    about eh?)

    A la mode de :-
    http://www.adobe.com/svg/examples.html
    (and some other web reference about a plane and its control pannel and
    turning on landing lights etc. . .that I can't find at the mo)

    Look, I don't particularly care that The Nothing has consumed great swathes
    of the VMS landscape, or that many of the true characters have already gone.
    At the end of the day, if all you shrivelled-up has-beens and never-weres
    are content to spend your days crying into your beer and harping back to the
    Glory Days then that's great, and I hope you get lots of hugs.

    I for one am not interested in what the regular suspects in this
    personality-disorder, self-help group are up to, (nor they what I'm doing)
    but, on the off chance that some subscriber here has had experience with
    client-coding of SVG (or Flash for that matter) from data that is served up
    by JDBC/ODBC, Ajax, or a.n.other middleware then I'd dearly love if you
    could share your experiences with us!

    I'm thinking of using a Tier3 Application Server to dish up sys$getrmi data
    on request and using JavaScript (or ecmaescript apparently) to manipulate
    SVG DOM so as to render the statistics graphically in a browser. To me this
    is exciting!!! (Maybe it's just me?)

    I don't know SVG, but at first glance, and thanks to some of the guys in
    comp.lang.javascript, it looks pretty straight forward (in a DOM-like
    albeit-XML sense) so I'm almost happy to blaze a trail again, but for ****
    sake, what is HP there for? Where are *their* examples on the web? Drag the
    IMM team out of the pub and ask them for *their* deliverables! What are they
    doing with all *your* license fees?

    I'm seriously starting to think Artreyu would've been better off carking-it
    in the swamp with the horse :-(

    Cheers Richard Maher

    PS. "Happy Birthday VMS" You are still the best, most secure, highest
    performing server-OS on the market. If only you could be freed from the
    self-serving, narcissistic, automatons that control the purse-strings then
    you could still fly - VMS has it today! If they just stopped, in their
    insecurity, trying desperately to copy everyone else for one moment they
    would relize that VMS has something special, nay unique, and it doesn't have
    to wear flippers and quack like a duck to impress your new friends.

    But why am I so down? Keith Cayemberg has just gifted VMS a process-watcher
    that can not only run in 80 cols but also 132! There's a whole
    DECUS?Encompass SIG right there! Yep, happy birthday alright.

    PPS. "In the beginning it is always dark."

  2. Re: Adobe SVG client scripting - Not that it matters. . .

    Richard Maher wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anyone here had any experience with Adobe's SVG DOM and client-side
    > Scripting?
    >
    > (NO, I am not interested in some wanker who may have managed to cobble CGI
    > or some other server-side bollocks together to create a dodgy-named,
    > insecure, disk file that is to be later served up by some crappy HTTP
    > server! I am interested in what Adobe's interested in, and that is
    > client-side graph and animation-building based on data served up from a
    > secure, high-performance Application Server. (Parallelism - What's it all
    > about eh?)
    >
    > A la mode de :-
    > http://www.adobe.com/svg/examples.html
    > (and some other web reference about a plane and its control pannel and
    > turning on landing lights etc. . .that I can't find at the mo)
    >
    > Look, I don't particularly care that The Nothing has consumed great swathes
    > of the VMS landscape, or that many of the true characters have already gone.
    > At the end of the day, if all you shrivelled-up has-beens and never-weres
    > are content to spend your days crying into your beer and harping back to the
    > Glory Days then that's great, and I hope you get lots of hugs.
    >
    > I for one am not interested in what the regular suspects in this
    > personality-disorder, self-help group are up to, (nor they what I'm doing)
    > but, on the off chance that some subscriber here has had experience with
    > client-coding of SVG (or Flash for that matter) from data that is served up
    > by JDBC/ODBC, Ajax, or a.n.other middleware then I'd dearly love if you
    > could share your experiences with us!
    >
    > I'm thinking of using a Tier3 Application Server to dish up sys$getrmi data
    > on request and using JavaScript (or ecmaescript apparently) to manipulate
    > SVG DOM so as to render the statistics graphically in a browser. To me this
    > is exciting!!! (Maybe it's just me?)
    >
    > I don't know SVG, but at first glance, and thanks to some of the guys in
    > comp.lang.javascript, it looks pretty straight forward (in a DOM-like
    > albeit-XML sense) so I'm almost happy to blaze a trail again, but for ****
    > sake, what is HP there for? Where are *their* examples on the web? Drag the
    > IMM team out of the pub and ask them for *their* deliverables! What are they
    > doing with all *your* license fees?
    > [snip]

    Pushing printers and PCs, what else?

    Seriously - the Adobe SVG pages say that they're dropping support for their SVG
    software since most new browsers have SVG support built-in.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  3. Re: Adobe SVG client scripting - Not that it matters. . .

    In article <471557A0.FCC7E875@spam.comcast.net>, David J Dachtera writes:

    >Richard Maher wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Has anyone here had any experience with Adobe's SVG DOM and client-side
    >> Scripting?
    >>
    >> (NO, I am not interested in some wanker who may have managed to cobble CGI
    >> or some other server-side bollocks together to create a dodgy-named,
    >> insecure, disk file that is to be later served up by some crappy HTTP
    >> server! I am interested in what Adobe's interested in, and that is
    >> client-side graph and animation-building based on data served up from a
    >> secure, high-performance Application Server. (Parallelism - What's it all
    >> about eh?)
    >>
    >> A la mode de :-
    >> http://www.adobe.com/svg/examples.html
    >> (and some other web reference about a plane and its control pannel and
    >> turning on landing lights etc. . .that I can't find at the mo)
    >>
    >> Look, I don't particularly care that The Nothing has consumed great swathes
    >> of the VMS landscape, or that many of the true characters have already gone.
    >> At the end of the day, if all you shrivelled-up has-beens and never-weres
    >> are content to spend your days crying into your beer and harping back to the
    >> Glory Days then that's great, and I hope you get lots of hugs.
    >>
    >> I for one am not interested in what the regular suspects in this
    >> personality-disorder, self-help group are up to, (nor they what I'm doing)
    >> but, on the off chance that some subscriber here has had experience with
    >> client-coding of SVG (or Flash for that matter) from data that is served up
    >> by JDBC/ODBC, Ajax, or a.n.other middleware then I'd dearly love if you
    >> could share your experiences with us!
    >>
    >> I'm thinking of using a Tier3 Application Server to dish up sys$getrmi data
    >> on request and using JavaScript (or ecmaescript apparently) to manipulate
    >> SVG DOM so as to render the statistics graphically in a browser. To me this
    >> is exciting!!! (Maybe it's just me?)
    >>
    >> I don't know SVG, but at first glance, and thanks to some of the guys in
    >> comp.lang.javascript, it looks pretty straight forward (in a DOM-like
    >> albeit-XML sense) so I'm almost happy to blaze a trail again, but for ****
    >> sake, what is HP there for? Where are *their* examples on the web? Drag the
    >> IMM team out of the pub and ask them for *their* deliverables! What are they
    >> doing with all *your* license fees?
    >> [snip]

    >Pushing printers and PCs, what else?
    >
    >Seriously - the Adobe SVG pages say that they're dropping support for their SVG
    >software since most new browsers have SVG support built-in.

    I tried running the demos and all I got was an error. So I downloaded the
    SVG viewer for Mac OS X 10.4. Now I no longer get an error, I get Safari
    to completely stop running.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  4. Re: Adobe SVG client scripting - Not that it matters. . .

    ****
    > > sake, what is HP there for? Where are *their* examples on the web? Drag

    the
    > > IMM team out of the pub and ask them for *their* deliverables! What are

    they
    > > doing with all *your* license fees?
    > > [snip]

    > Pushing printers and PCs, what else?
    >
    > Seriously - the Adobe SVG pages say that they're dropping support for

    their SVG
    > software since most new browsers have SVG support built-in.
    >
    > --
    > David J Dachtera
    > dba DJE Systems
    > http://www.djesys.com/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/
    >
    > Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Hobbyist Support Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    "the Adobe SVG pages say that they're dropping support for their SVG
    software "

    Agreed.

    "most new browsers have SVG support built-in"

    Not at all sure about that, based on experience earlier this year when I had
    reason to briefly look for a means of displaying some statistical data in a
    structured form. I looked briefly at SVG but stopped looking after I
    concluded that what limited SVG support had existed was on its last legs now
    that Adobe (apparently) saw Flash as the universal future. I also concluded
    that SVG was distinctly NOT an appropriate option where "standard, and
    locked-down, but not necessarily all that recent" browsers were likely to be
    common (eg some corporates?). I could have jumped to the wrong conclusion
    though. Meanwhile, my need went away, so unfortunately I can't recommend any
    alternatives.

    regards
    John

  5. And the answer is. . .(was: Adobe SVG client scripting - Not that it matters. . .)

    SilverLight!

    Hi David, John,

    I'll look around more this weekend but, for the reasons outlined below, I'm
    currently coming down big-time in favour of Microsoft's SilverLight (or
    Window Presentation Foundation Everywhere - WPF/E). If you know of any
    compelling reasons not to, or know why Flash would be superior then please
    share your thoughts.

    > > Seriously - the Adobe SVG pages say that they're dropping support for

    > their SVG
    > > software since most new browsers have SVG support built-in.

    I'm still interested in generic and native SVG support which seems to be
    included now with Firefox, Safari, and Opera, but there just isn't any
    Internet Explorer support which is always gonna be a bummer for a lot of
    people/developers/businesses. There is a *great* looking library out there
    from a Lutz at lutanho.net called SVG-VML-3D 1.3 that does some amazing
    stuff and proves you can, at run-time, decide whether to use VML for IE or
    SVG for the others, but the general consensus is that, for Rich Internet
    Applications (RIAs) anyway, is that the debate has moved on from SVG vs VML.

    Some say the new tag in HTML 5.0 will solve a lot of issues (and
    there is an implementation with SilverLight) but like most things on the
    net, there are heaps of standards out there, you just gotta pick one :-(

    [Some would say "Just use Java Applets" especially as I'm already using a
    blind-applet for network comms, but I'm afraid "browser-based, scripted,
    DOM-based multimedia" is the goal for me and many others. Having said that,
    I'm willing to look at your Pie, Bar, and Line graph examples as long as it
    isn't some class library from dodgy bros.]

    So we're left with Flash, JavaFX, and SilverLight (if I had the resources,
    and time of HP's IMM team I could probably find many others. What is it they
    do again?).

    I believe JavaFX to be a non-starter, and I don't know enough (anything ;-)
    about Flash's API, MXML, and Javascript/DOM integration, but this is why I
    like the look of SilverLight: -

    Scriptable with JavaScript
    Supports DOM and integrates with HTML DOM
    Plug-in needed but via standard tags
    Cross-platform support (Windows, Mac OS X, (Linux via 3rd part))
    Cross-browser support (IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari)
    Only Version 1.0 available now but 1.1 is in Alpha release
    XAML looks very straight forward
    The "source" attribute can be altered at runtime and there are methods such
    as CreateFromXaml(XAML Content)

    Looks like the Mutt's Nuts to me! Anyone know why Flash or a.n.other product
    is better?

    Cheers Richard Maher

    "John Wallace" wrote in message
    news:UluRi.370412$xp6.296840@fe3.news.blueyonder.c o.uk...

> [...]

    > Agreed.
    >
    > "most new browsers have SVG support built-in"
    >
    > Not at all sure about that, based on experience earlier this year when I

    had
    > reason to briefly look for a means of displaying some statistical data in

    > structured form. I looked briefly at SVG but stopped looking after I
    > concluded that what limited SVG support had existed was on its last legs

    now
    > that Adobe (apparently) saw Flash as the universal future. I also

    concluded
    > that SVG was distinctly NOT an appropriate option where "standard, and
    > locked-down, but not necessarily all that recent" browsers were likely to

    be
    > common (eg some corporates?). I could have jumped to the wrong conclusion
    > though. Meanwhile, my need went away, so unfortunately I can't recommend

  6. Re: And the answer is. . .(was: Adobe SVG client scripting - Notthat it matters. . .)

    On 10/18/07 18:57, Richard Maher wrote:
    [snip]

    > So we're left with Flash, JavaFX, and SilverLight (if I had the resources,
    > and time of HP's IMM team I could probably find many others. What is it they
    > do again?).
    >
    > I believe JavaFX to be a non-starter, and I don't know enough (anything ;-)
    > about Flash's API, MXML, and Javascript/DOM integration, but this is why I
    > like the look of SilverLight: -
    >
    > Scriptable with JavaScript
    > Supports DOM and integrates with HTML DOM
    > Plug-in needed but via standard tags
    > Cross-platform support (Windows, Mac OS X, (Linux via 3rd part))
    > Cross-browser support (IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari)
    > Only Version 1.0 available now but 1.1 is in Alpha release
    > XAML looks very straight forward
    > The "source" attribute can be altered at runtime and there are methods such
    > as CreateFromXaml(XAML Content)
    >
    > Looks like the Mutt's Nuts to me! Anyone know why Flash or a.n.other product
    > is better?

    Flash is a published specification, and anyone can write a renderer
    for whatever platform he/she chooses. MSFT might *say* that
    SilverLight is cross-platform and open, but they also say that Vista
    is secure and have a long record of ruthless anti-competitive behavior.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  7. Re: And the answer is. . .(was: Adobe SVG client scripting - Notthat it matters. . .)

    Richard Maher wrote:
    > [Some would say "Just use Java Applets" especially as I'm already using a
    > blind-applet for network comms, but I'm afraid "browser-based, scripted,
    > DOM-based multimedia" is the goal for me and many others. Having said that,
    > I'm willing to look at your Pie, Bar, and Line graph examples as long as it
    > isn't some class library from dodgy bros.]

    JFreeChart works fine with applets.

    Quite powerfull.

    Not that easy to get started with though.

    > So we're left with Flash, JavaFX, and SilverLight (if I had the resources,
    > and time of HP's IMM team I could probably find many others. What is it they
    > do again?).
    >
    > I believe JavaFX to be a non-starter, and I don't know enough (anything ;-)
    > about Flash's API, MXML, and Javascript/DOM integration, but this is why I
    > like the look of SilverLight: -
    >
    > Scriptable with JavaScript
    > Supports DOM and integrates with HTML DOM
    > Plug-in needed but via standard tags
    > Cross-platform support (Windows, Mac OS X, (Linux via 3rd part))
    > Cross-browser support (IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari)
    > Only Version 1.0 available now but 1.1 is in Alpha release
    > XAML looks very straight forward
    > The "source" attribute can be altered at runtime and there are methods such
    > as CreateFromXaml(XAML Content)
    >
    > Looks like the Mutt's Nuts to me! Anyone know why Flash or a.n.other product
    > is better?

    Flash has a very strong existing market share.

    That makes it an appealing solution by definition.

    I have never worked with Macromedias/Adobes tools, so I can not
    say whether it is an easy for difficult path.

    Arne

  8. Re: And the answer is. . .(was: Adobe SVG client scripting - Notthat it matters. . .)

    Ron Johnson wrote:
    > On 10/18/07 18:57, Richard Maher wrote:
    > [snip]
    >> So we're left with Flash, JavaFX, and SilverLight (if I had the resources,
    >> and time of HP's IMM team I could probably find many others. What is it they
    >> do again?).
    >>
    >> I believe JavaFX to be a non-starter, and I don't know enough (anything ;-)
    >> about Flash's API, MXML, and Javascript/DOM integration, but this is why I
    >> like the look of SilverLight: -
    >>
    >> Scriptable with JavaScript
    >> Supports DOM and integrates with HTML DOM
    >> Plug-in needed but via standard tags
    >> Cross-platform support (Windows, Mac OS X, (Linux via 3rd part))
    >> Cross-browser support (IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari)
    >> Only Version 1.0 available now but 1.1 is in Alpha release
    >> XAML looks very straight forward
    >> The "source" attribute can be altered at runtime and there are methods such
    >> as CreateFromXaml(XAML Content)
    >>
    >> Looks like the Mutt's Nuts to me! Anyone know why Flash or a.n.other product
    >> is better?
    >
    > Flash is a published specification, and anyone can write a renderer
    > for whatever platform he/she chooses.

    says differently.

    > MSFT might *say* that
    > SilverLight is cross-platform and open, but they also say that Vista
    > is secure and have a long record of ruthless anti-competitive behavior.

    Jeff

  9. Re: And the answer is. . .(was: Adobe SVG client scripting - Notthat it matters. . .)

    On 10/18/07 21:41, Jeff Campbell wrote:
    > Ron Johnson wrote:
    >> On 10/18/07 18:57, Richard Maher wrote:
    >> [snip]
    >>> So we're left with Flash, JavaFX, and SilverLight (if I had the
    >>> resources,
    >>> and time of HP's IMM team I could probably find many others. What is
    >>> it they
    >>> do again?).
    >>>
    >>> I believe JavaFX to be a non-starter, and I don't know enough
    >>> (anything ;-)
    >>> about Flash's API, MXML, and Javascript/DOM integration, but this is
    >>> why I
    >>> like the look of SilverLight: -
    >>>
    >>> Scriptable with JavaScript
    >>> Supports DOM and integrates with HTML DOM
    >>> Plug-in needed but via standard tags
    >>> Cross-platform support (Windows, Mac OS X, (Linux via 3rd part))
    >>> Cross-browser support (IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari)
    >>> Only Version 1.0 available now but 1.1 is in Alpha release
    >>> XAML looks very straight forward
    >>> The "source" attribute can be altered at runtime and there are
    >>> methods such
    >>> as CreateFromXaml(XAML Content)
    >>>
    >>> Looks like the Mutt's Nuts to me! Anyone know why Flash or a.n.other
    >>> product
    >>> is better?
    >>
    >> Flash is a published specification, and anyone can write a renderer
    >> for whatever platform he/she chooses.
    >
    > says differently.

    Ah, then only PDF is a published spec.

    >> MSFT might *say* that
    >> SilverLight is cross-platform and open, but they also say that Vista
    >> is secure and have a long record of ruthless anti-competitive behavior.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  10. Re: And the answer is. . .(was: Adobe SVG client scripting - Notthat it matters. . .)

    On 2007-10-19 15:18, "Ron Johnson" wrote:

    > On 10/18/07 21:41, Jeff Campbell wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> says differently.

    > Ah, then only PDF is a published spec.

    PostScript as well of course ...

    > [...9

    Michael

    --
    Real names enhance the probability of getting real answers.
    My e-mail account at DECUS Munich is no longer valid.

  11. Re: Honeymoon over for Silverlight :-(

    Richard Maher wrote:
    >> JFreeChart works fine with applets.

    > I like it! I haven't had a chance to run the examples yet as that bloated
    > WebStart download put me off, but I will try to have a look this weekend. I
    > don't suppose you've got a simple example of a Pie Chart that has two
    > constructors (One, an array with labels and amounts, and another a buffered
    > input stream with labels and amounts) oh well, just a thought :-)

    Not but I do have an example that should be able to get you
    started.

    See below.

    Arne

    package october;

    import java.awt.Color;
    import java.awt.Dimension;
    import java.text.SimpleDateFormat;
    import java.util.Random;

    import org.jfree.chart.ChartFactory;
    import org.jfree.chart.ChartPanel;
    import org.jfree.chart.JFreeChart;
    import org.jfree.chart.axis.DateAxis;
    import org.jfree.chart.plot.CategoryPlot;
    import org.jfree.chart.plot.PiePlot;
    import org.jfree.chart.plot.PlotOrientation;
    import org.jfree.chart.plot.XYPlot;
    import org.jfree.chart.renderer.category.CategoryItemRend erer;
    import org.jfree.chart.renderer.xy.XYItemRenderer;
    import org.jfree.chart.renderer.xy.XYLineAndShapeRenderer ;
    import org.jfree.data.category.DefaultCategoryDataset;
    import org.jfree.data.general.DefaultPieDataset;
    import org.jfree.data.time.Month;
    import org.jfree.data.time.MovingAverage;
    import org.jfree.data.time.TimeSeries;
    import org.jfree.data.time.TimeSeriesCollection;
    import org.jfree.ui.ApplicationFrame;

    public class JFCDemo {
    new TimeSeriesDemo();
    new PieDemo();
    new BarsDemo();
    }
    }

    class TimeSeriesDemo extends ApplicationFrame {
    private static Random rng = new Random();
    public TimeSeriesDemo() {
    super("Time series demo");
    double[] v = new double[96];
    v[0] = 100;
    for(int i = 1; i < v.length; i++) {
    v[i] = v[i-1] + 1 + 10 * (rng.nextDouble() - 0.5);
    }
    TimeSeries ts1 = new TimeSeries("Random data", Month.class);
    for(int y = 2000; y < 2008; y++) {
    for(int m = 1; m < 12; m++) {
    ts1.add(new Month(m, y), v[12 * (y - 2000) + m -1]);
    }
    }
    TimeSeries ts2 = MovingAverage.createMovingAverage(ts1, "3 month
    mov.avg.", 3, 0);
    TimeSeries ts3 = MovingAverage.createMovingAverage(ts1, "6 month
    mov.avg.", 6, 0);
    TimeSeries ts4 = MovingAverage.createMovingAverage(ts1, "12
    month mov.avg.", 12, 0);
    TimeSeriesCollection ds = new TimeSeriesCollection();
    ds.addSeries(ts1);
    ds.addSeries(ts2);
    ds.addSeries(ts3);
    ds.addSeries(ts4);
    JFreeChart chart = ChartFactory.createTimeSeriesChart("Time
    series", "Time", "Value", ds, true, true, false);
    chart.setBackgroundPaint(Color.LIGHT_GRAY);
    XYPlot plot = chart.getXYPlot();
    XYItemRenderer renderer = plot.getRenderer();
    if (renderer instanceof XYLineAndShapeRenderer) {
    XYLineAndShapeRenderer rr = (XYLineAndShapeRenderer) renderer;
    rr.setShapesFilled(true);
    rr.setSeriesPaint(0, Color.BLACK);
    rr.setSeriesPaint(1, Color.CYAN);
    rr.setSeriesPaint(2, Color.MAGENTA);
    rr.setSeriesPaint(3, Color.ORANGE);
    }
    DateAxis axis = (DateAxis)plot.getDomainAxis();
    axis.setDateFormatOverride(new SimpleDateFormat("MMM-yyyy"));
    ChartPanel chartpan = new ChartPanel(chart);
    chartpan.setPreferredSize(new Dimension(600, 600));
    setContentPane(chartpan);
    pack();
    setVisible(true);
    }
    }

    class PieDemo extends ApplicationFrame {
    private static Random rng = new Random();
    public PieDemo() {
    super("Pie demo");
    double[] v = new double[5];
    for(int i = 0; i < v.length; i++) {
    v[i] = rng.nextInt(1000);
    }
    DefaultPieDataset ds = new DefaultPieDataset();
    for(int i = 0; i < v.length; i++) {
    ds.setValue("Cat. " + (char)(65+i), v[i]);
    }
    JFreeChart chart = ChartFactory.createPieChart("Pie", ds,
    true, true, false);
    chart.setBackgroundPaint(Color.LIGHT_GRAY);
    PiePlot plot = (PiePlot) chart.getPlot();
    plot.setSectionPaint(ds.getKey(0), Color.RED);
    plot.setSectionPaint(ds.getKey(1), Color.GREEN);
    plot.setSectionPaint(ds.getKey(2), Color.YELLOW);
    plot.setSectionPaint(ds.getKey(3), Color.BLUE);
    plot.setSectionPaint(ds.getKey(4), Color.PINK);
    ChartPanel chartpan = new ChartPanel(chart);
    chartpan.setPreferredSize(new Dimension(400, 400));
    setContentPane(chartpan);
    pack();
    setVisible(true);
    }
    }

    class BarsDemo extends ApplicationFrame {
    private static Random rng = new Random();
    public BarsDemo() {
    super("Bars demo");
    double[] v1 = new double[5];
    for(int i = 0; i < v1.length; i++) {
    v1[i] = rng.nextInt(1000);
    }
    double[] v2 = new double[5];
    for(int i = 0; i < v2.length; i++) {
    v2[i] = rng.nextInt(1000);
    }
    DefaultCategoryDataset ds = new DefaultCategoryDataset();
    for(int i = 0; i < v1.length; i++) {
    ds.addValue(v1[i], "V1", "Cat. " + (char)(65+i));
    ds.addValue(v2[i], "V2", "Cat. " + (char)(65+i));
    }
    JFreeChart chart = ChartFactory.createBarChart("Bars",
    "Category", "Value", ds, PlotOrientation.VERTICAL, true, true, false);
    chart.setBackgroundPaint(Color.LIGHT_GRAY);
    CategoryPlot plot = chart.getCategoryPlot();
    CategoryItemRenderer renderer = plot.getRenderer();
    renderer.setSeriesPaint(0, Color.YELLOW);
    renderer.setSeriesPaint(1, Color.RED);
    ChartPanel chartpan = new ChartPanel(chart);
    chartpan.setPreferredSize(new Dimension(400, 400));
    setContentPane(chartpan);
    pack();
    setVisible(true);
    }
    }

  12. Re: Put your hand in my hand. . .And I will shooww you the way. (WasSilverlight disappointment)

    Richard Maher wrote:
    > I downloaded the Webstart examples from
    > http://www.jfree.org/jfreechart/samples.html and they looked pretty
    > impressive (especially the "dial" graphs) but to put things in perspective,
    > this is what I'm seeing from the competition: -
    >
    > http://examples.adobe.com/flex2/inpr...dashboard.html

    That is very good.

    Better than what I created.

    But I think you can make something of similar quality with JFreeChart.

    Just requires some work.

    > http://joestegman.members.winisp.net.../overload.html

    That one does not seem to work very well.

    > Is it just me or has the bar been lifted a little bit?

    Billions of dollars has been invested in web technology.

    Not surprisingly progress has been made.

    > If VMS provided a web-browser interface to $MONITOR SYSTEM or $MON PROC/TOP*
    > or $SHOW PROC/CONT then I imagine that one or two customers may wish to
    > emulate/copy that same strategy when building their own systems. Maybe,
    > someone out there would interested in providing Freeware utilities to
    > perform just such functions? If only the basic middleware infrastructure
    > required was already bundled with VMS! If only the Network Communications,
    > Multi-threading, Authentication and Load-Balancing was taken care of, and
    > all those developers out there were free to concentrate on providing the
    > Application-specific functionality and delivering what their VMS customers
    > want.

    Sounds as if you want EJB's !!

    :-)

    Arne

  13. Re: Put your hand in my hand. . .And I will shooww you the way. (Was

    In article <472d3c9d$0$90265$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?= writes:
    > Richard Maher wrote:
    >>> But I think you can make something of similar quality with JFreeChart.

    >> I bow to your far greater experience in such matters but, having read the
    >> JFreeChart FAQ (and leaving the whole issue of presentation quality to one
    >> side for the moment), I can't see Java emulating Flash's Data-Binding
    >> functionality without a great deal of effort,

    > It will probably be more work than with Flash.
    >
    > Java was invented by programmers for programmers.
    >
    > Flash was invented by someone for "multimedia designers".

    HTML was invented by somebody who understood security concerns.

  14. Re: Put your hand in my hand. . .And I will shooww you the way. (Was

    On 11/04/07 08:12, Larry Kilgallen wrote:
    >>> I bow to your far greater experience in such matters but, having read the
    >>> JFreeChart FAQ (and leaving the whole issue of presentation quality to one
    >>> side for the moment), I can't see Java emulating Flash's Data-Binding
    >>> functionality without a great deal of effort,

    >> It will probably be more work than with Flash.
    >>
    >> Java was invented by programmers for programmers.
    >>
    >> Flash was invented by someone for "multimedia designers".

    > HTML was invented by somebody who understood security concerns.

    Really?

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA