PROCESS_SCAN.COM (or an example of what DCL can do) - VMS

This is a discussion on PROCESS_SCAN.COM (or an example of what DCL can do) - VMS ; This "DCL Program" (1867 lines) provides powerful process scanning capabilities giving detailed JPI process context variable information of any processes on the same node or cluster. The processes to be displayed can be specified using multiple selection criteria. A VT220 ...

  1. PROCESS_SCAN.COM (or an example of what DCL can do)

    This "DCL Program" (1867 lines) provides powerful process scanning
    capabilities giving detailed JPI process context variable information
    of any processes on the same node or cluster. The processes to be
    displayed can be specified using multiple selection criteria. A VT220
    compatible terminal is assumed. The procedure adapts the number of
    columns displayed automatically when the screen is in 80 column or 132
    column mode. Single pass and continuous display modes are supported.
    The continuous display mode can be exited only using Control-C, and
    will change the page length of the screen automatically if your
    terminal emulation supports the function correctly. Using the
    DECwindow's DECterm supports this functionality the best. For a more
    complete HELP description of many more capabilities, start the
    procedure with a question mark "?" as the first command line
    parameter.

    Some of the useful things you can do with this procedure:

    - find all processes running a specific image, or any image in a
    specific directory tree.
    - find all processes with a specific quota exhausted to a
    specified percentage.
    - count the number of times processes with a specific set of
    attributes exist during
    a period of time.
    - call this procedure from your own and use the global variables
    PROCESS_SCAN.COM
    creates giving the identifying attributes of the first or last
    process that was selected.
    - watch the processes of another cluster node and their changing
    attributes as that node
    boots, BEFORE the System Manager can log-on to the booting node,
    and BEFORE
    TCP/IP or DECnet has been loaded on that node.

    You can find PROCESS_SCAN.COM at DCL.OpenVMS.Org here...
    http://dcl.openvms.org/stories.php?s.../10/09/1667996

    Happy 30th OpenVMS Anniversary to the OpenVMS Community!

    Cheers!

    Keith Cayemberg

  2. Re: PROCESS_SCAN.COM (or an example of what DCL can do)

    Keith Cayemberg wrote:

    > You can find PROCESS_SCAN.COM at DCL.OpenVMS.Org here...
    > http://dcl.openvms.org/stories.php?s.../10/09/1667996
    >
    > Happy 30th OpenVMS Anniversary to the OpenVMS Community!

    Unfortunately, as with most of such simple text-widgets web sites,
    uploading apparently did not succeed: the DCL code is truncated.
    It looks quite interesting!
    If You have no other place, then send it by mail, I could put it into
    http://wwwvms.mppmu.mpg.de/util_root/com/ .

    Cheers,

    --

    Joseph Huber - http://www.huber-joseph.de

  3. Re: PROCESS_SCAN.COM (or an example of what DCL can do)

    If you contact Aaron he may be able to fix the problem with the
    truncated post

    http://dcl.openvms.org/contact_aaron

  4. Re: PROCESS_SCAN.COM (or an example of what DCL can do)

    On 10/15/07, Keith Cayemberg wrote:
    > Here one more try...
    >

    > $ proc_ver = F$ENVIRONMENT("VERIFY_PROCEDURE")

    [BIG SNIP]

    It would have been much better to find a site to put this and let
    people download it a their own pace. When you included it here, many
    lines wrapped.

    Ken

  5. Re: PROCESS_SCAN.COM (or an example of what DCL can do)

    IanMiller wrote:
    > If you contact Aaron he may be able to fix the problem with the
    > truncated post
    >
    > http://dcl.openvms.org/contact_aaron

    Note also that the last copy sent (with DCL inline)
    was line-breaked. Either make sure your lines are
    "mailabel" och ZIP it up and post it someware.

    I've put a "cleaned" and ZIP'ed copy here :
    http://www.jescab.se/upload/process_scan.zip

    Jan-Erik.

  6. Re: PROCESS_SCAN.COM (or an example of what DCL can do)

    Jan-Erik Söderholm schrieb:

    > I've put a "cleaned" and ZIP'ed copy here :
    > http://www.jescab.se/upload/process_scan.zip

    Well, still some line wrapped ,
    edited in parallel and tested:

    http://wwwvms.mppmu.mpg.de/util_root...ocess-scan.com

    Keith, do You mind I keep it there ?

    --

    Joseph Huber - http://www.huber-joseph.de

  7. Re: PROCESS_SCAN.COM (or an example of what DCL can do)

    Joseph Huber wrote:
    > Jan-Erik Söderholm schrieb:
    >>
    >> I've put a "cleaned" and ZIP'ed copy here :
    >> http://www.jescab.se/upload/process_scan.zip
    >>

    > Well, still some line wrapped ,
    > edited in parallel and tested:
    >
    > http://wwwvms.mppmu.mpg.de/util_root...ocess-scan.com
    >
    > Keith, do You mind I keep it there ?

    -ERROR-(404): no such file or directory

  8. Re: PROCESS_SCAN.COM (or an example of what DCL can do)

    Joseph Huber wrote:
    > Jan-Erik Söderholm schrieb:
    >>
    >> I've put a "cleaned" and ZIP'ed copy here :
    >> http://www.jescab.se/upload/process_scan.zip
    >>

    > Well, still some line wrapped ,

    Are you talking about the file in my ZIP archive ?
    I just checked it again and I can't (by reading it)
    find *any* wrapped line/lines.

    Never mind, use it if you want...

    Jan-Erik.

  9. Re: PROCESS_SCAN.COM (or an example of what DCL can do)

    Jan-Erik Söderholm schrieb:
    > Joseph Huber wrote:
    >> Jan-Erik Söderholm schrieb:
    >>>
    >>> I've put a "cleaned" and ZIP'ed copy here :
    >>> http://www.jescab.se/upload/process_scan.zip
    >>>

    >> Well, still some line wrapped ,

    > Are you talking about the file in my ZIP archive ?
    > I just checked it again and I can't (by reading it)
    > find *any* wrapped line/lines.

    by reading: easily overlooked., f executed, it chokes immediately.

    And the URL in my answer: a typo process-scan instead of process_scan :-(

    http://wwwvms.mppmu.mpg.de/util_root...ocess_scan.com

    --

    Joseph Huber - http://www.huber-joseph.de

  10. Re: PROCESS_SCAN.COM (or an example of what DCL can do)

    On 10/15/07 10:59, Keith Cayemberg wrote:
    > Here one more try...
    >

    > $ proc_ver = F$ENVIRONMENT("VERIFY_PROCEDURE")
    > $ image_ver = F$ENVIRONMENT("VERIFY_IMAGE")
    > $! set noverify
    > $ goto INFOEND
    > $!
    > ================================================== ========================
    > $!
    > $ info:
    > $ ERASE
    > $ Type Sys$Input
    >
    > PROCEDURE: PROCESS_SCAN.COM
    > AUTHOR: Keith Cayemberg
    > DATE: original version written sometime in the mid 1980's

    > This procedure provides a means to scan the JPI process context
    > variables
    > of other user's processes on the same node or cluster. Depending on

    [snip]

    Sadly, there was serious line wrapping.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  11. Re: PROCESS_SCAN.COM (or an example of what DCL can do)

    Keith Cayemberg wrote:
    > Here one more try...
    >

    > $ proc_ver = F$ENVIRONMENT("VERIFY_PROCEDURE")
    > $ image_ver = F$ENVIRONMENT("VERIFY_IMAGE")
    > $! set noverify
    > $ goto INFOEND
    > $!
    > ================================================== ========================
    > $!
    > $ info:
    > $ ERASE
    > $ Type Sys$Input
    >
    > PROCEDURE: PROCESS_SCAN.COM
    > AUTHOR: Keith Cayemberg
    > DATE: original version written sometime in the mid 1980's

    > This procedure provides a means to scan the JPI process context
    > variables
    > of other user's processes on the same node or cluster. Depending on
    > the

    [snipped wrapped text]

    Keith,

    I've put a cleaned copy (thanks Joseph Huber!) up at

    Jeff

  12. Re: PROCESS_SCAN.COM (or an example of what DCL can do)

    Dear OpenVMS Community,

    Aaron Sakovich has now corrected my earlier truncated PROCESS_SCAN.COM
    posting to DCL.OpenVMS.Org. It also has a new URL...

    http://dcl.openvms.org/stories.php?s.../11/25/2406271

    Attention: Jan-Erik Söderholm and Jeff Campbell the copies on your web
    sites appear to still have errors which show up when using the the
    procedure in 80 Column screen mode. Joseph Huber appears to have a
    working version when also not identical to my original.

    This "DCL Program" (1867 lines) provides powerful process scanning
    capabilities giving detailed JPI process context variable information
    about any processes on the same node or cluster. The processes to be
    displayed can be specified using multiple selection criteria. A VT220
    compatible terminal is assumed. The procedure adapts the number of
    columns displayed automatically when the screen is in 80 column or 132
    column mode. Single pass and continuous display modes are supported.
    The continuous display mode can be exited only using Control-C. The
    continuous mode will also change the page length of the screen
    automatically when needed, if your terminal emulation supports the VT
    function correctly. DECwindow's DECterm supports this functionality
    the best. For a more complete HELP description and many more
    capabilities, start the procedure with a question mark "?" as the
    first command line parameter.

    Some of the useful things you can do with this procedure:

    * find all processes running a specific image, or any image within a
    specific directory tree.
    * find all processes with a specific quota exhausted to a specified
    percentage.
    * count the number of times processes with a specific set of
    attributes exist during a period of time.
    * call this procedure from your own, and use the global variables
    created that give the identifying attributes of the first or last
    process that PROCESS_SCAN found.
    * watch the processes of another cluster node and their changing
    attributes as that node boots, BEFORE the System Manager can log-on to
    the booting node, and BEFORE TCP/IP or DECnet has been loaded on that
    node.

    Happy 30th OpenVMS Anniversary to the OpenVMS Community!

+ Reply to Thread