The DHCP *server* does not provide dynamic dns updates to a dns server.
That is done by DHCP client services on the individual workstations.
Since the client knows its own FQDN, and gives that along with the IP
address to the DNS server, the DNS server is going to provide
information for the appropriate name, foo.example1.com,
bar.example2.com, or fubar.example3.com.

My understanding is that a winders DNS server can store its data in
either traditional zone files or actually store the information in the
Active Directory structure itself. Since you're asking questions on the
MultiNet list, however, you're presumably using MultiNet DNS. Since I
don't let clients update either MultiNet or unix DNS servers, I'm not
sure if those servers actually modify the on-disk zone files with
dynamic updates or if they just keep the dynamic stuff in memory. I
would think they would have to write to disk at least periodically, but
that's just a guess.

-ken

--
email: Ken.Connelly@uni.edu p: (319) 273-5850 f: (319) 273-7373