Re: Can we have more than one primary zones in DNS - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Can we have more than one primary zones in DNS - VMS ; Yes, you can certainly have multiple primary domains served by the same DNS server. I'll mostly pass on the second part of the question as I don't allow clients to update what I affectionately call "the real DNS". AD has ...

  1. Re: Can we have more than one primary zones in DNS

    Yes, you can certainly have multiple primary domains served by the same
    DNS server.

    I'll mostly pass on the second part of the question as I don't allow
    clients to update what I affectionately call "the real DNS". AD has its
    own DNS servers (running on winders), which domain members are told to
    use by the DHCP server. Those are visible internally to the domain, but
    not to the outside world. That said, from a functional perspective, I
    don't know why the zone on the DNS server that was updated would really
    matter. Clients are going to ask the DNS server for answers, not a
    particular zone server. As long as the authoritative server has the
    answers it should have, the zone they came from shouldn't really be a
    concern.

    - ken

    --
    - Ken
    Ken Connelly Associate Director, Security and Systems

  2. Re: Can we have more than one primary zones in DNS

    On Jun 26, 5:10 pm, Ken Connelly wrote:
    > Yes, you can certainly have multiple primary domains served by the same
    > DNS server.
    >
    > I'll mostly pass on the second part of the question as I don't allow
    > clients to update what I affectionately call "the real DNS". AD has its
    > own DNS servers (running on winders), which domain members are told to
    > use by the DHCP server. Those are visible internally to the domain, but
    > not to the outside world. That said, from a functional perspective, I
    > don't know why the zone on the DNS server that was updated would really
    > matter. Clients are going to ask the DNS server for answers, not a
    > particular zone server. As long as the authoritative server has the
    > answers it should have, the zone they came from shouldn't really be a
    > concern.
    >
    > - ken
    >
    > manjunath...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Can we have two or more primary zones in the same DNS server. For
    > > example, is managing Cisco.com and yahoo.com within same DNS server
    > > possible? If yes How the DHCP server will update DNS, means whenever
    > > it issues a lease to a client it needs to update the same in DNS
    > > server, so my question is in which zone it will update the A record?

    > > ---
    > > Manjunath

    > --
    > - Ken
    > ================================================== ===============
    > Ken Connelly Associate Director, Security and Systems
    > ITS Network Services University of Northern Iowa
    > email: Ken.Conne...@uni.edu p: (319) 273-5850 f: (319) 273-7373

    Thanks for your reply. As we know that client will ask for IP address
    from DHCP server whenever it comes to network. Then DHCP server will
    give IP address for some period of time (lease). At the same time it
    needs to update the DNS server about this lease means it needs to send
    host name along with IP address to DNS server. In turn DNS server will
    create A record in its zone for this host. So now assume that the DNS
    server is hosting example1.com, example2.com and example3.com as its
    primary zones. Now the host at example3.com request for a lease and
    got it from DHCP server. The DHCP server will send host name and IP
    address to DNS server. Now DNS server needs to create A record in
    example3.com; My question is how the DNS server will decide that it
    needs to create A record for this host in example3.com only, why cant
    it be in example1.com and example2.com? I don't know anything about
    DHCP, Is any configuration needed at DHCP server side to work like
    this? Please clarify me this. Thanks in advance.

    --
    Manjunath

  3. Re: Can we have more than one primary zones in DNS

    manjunath.14@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Jun 26, 5:10 pm, Ken Connelly wrote:
    > > Yes, you can certainly have multiple primary domains served by the same
    > > DNS server.
    > >
    > > I'll mostly pass on the second part of the question as I don't allow
    > > clients to update what I affectionately call "the real DNS". AD has its
    > > own DNS servers (running on winders), which domain members are told to
    > > use by the DHCP server. Those are visible internally to the domain, but
    > > not to the outside world. That said, from a functional perspective, I
    > > don't know why the zone on the DNS server that was updated would really
    > > matter. Clients are going to ask the DNS server for answers, not a
    > > particular zone server. As long as the authoritative server has the
    > > answers it should have, the zone they came from shouldn't really be a
    > > concern.
    > >
    > > - ken
    > >
    > > manjunath...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > > Can we have two or more primary zones in the same DNS server. For
    > > > example, is managing Cisco.com and yahoo.com within same DNS server
    > > > possible? If yes How the DHCP server will update DNS, means whenever
    > > > it issues a lease to a client it needs to update the same in DNS
    > > > server, so my question is in which zone it will update the A record?

    > > > ---
    > > > Manjunath

    > > --
    > > - Ken
    > > ================================================== ===============
    > > Ken Connelly Associate Director, Security and Systems
    > > ITS Network Services University of Northern Iowa
    > > email: Ken.Conne...@uni.edu p: (319) 273-5850 f: (319) 273-7373

    > Thanks for your reply. As we know that client will ask for IP address
    > from DHCP server whenever it comes to network. Then DHCP server will
    > give IP address for some period of time (lease). At the same time it
    > needs to update the DNS server about this lease means it needs to send
    > host name along with IP address to DNS server. In turn DNS server will
    > create A record in its zone for this host. So now assume that the DNS
    > server is hosting example1.com, example2.com and example3.com as its
    > primary zones. Now the host at example3.com request for a lease and
    > got it from DHCP server. The DHCP server will send host name and IP
    > address to DNS server. Now DNS server needs to create A record in
    > example3.com; My question is how the DNS server will decide that it
    > needs to create A record for this host in example3.com only, why cant
    > it be in example1.com and example2.com? I don't know anything about
    > DHCP, Is any configuration needed at DHCP server side to work like
    > this? Please clarify me this. Thanks in advance.

    Those are decisions that YOU will make, and then instuct the machine
    accordingly.

    You should be using reserved assignments (an IP address that is always matched
    to a specific MAC address). By definition, then, that MAC address is associated
    with a specific host in a domain. (You don't want a machine providing virtual
    hosting to have an address that might change!)

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page