At 06:58 PM 12/30/2006, Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing wrote:
>Sorry to waste your time with the last question. It was weird-seeming; SSHD
>running, spawning processes, collecting credentials, but never carrying
>through a login process. TCPDUMP showed that it was still exchanging
>keepalives with the client.
>
>Problem turned out to be that each connection produces an SSHD.LOG file, we'd
>gotten up to ;32767 back in April, and that wasn't previously a problem. I
>zapped that file and connections started going through. (Kinda slow from the
>other node in the cluster, for some reason, but works quick enough with
>ttSSH.)

Good (?) news. At least it's working.

>So did SSH for 4.4 not care about being unable to open a log file, and it does
>care now? Does it make any difference that the system disk is now ODS-5? Is
>this configurable? What logfile would a complaint have ended up in? (I
>didn't
>try, and should have, REPLY/ENABLE and an attempted SSH connection to see
>if it
>was telling me anything. Would it have?)

I doubt there was a difference due to ODS5. You wouldn't have seen a
"complaint" per se, as log file writes are allowed to fail, and pretty much
by definition, they wouldn't have any place else to complain to. If you
wish, you can contact tech support and log an enhancement request, and I'll
see what (if anything) I can do for MultiNet 5.2.

------
| Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
| Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
| Process Software | and those who don't." |
| http://www.process.com | |