Selden,

I am using an application called ByRequest (from Hillary Software) that
performs electronic publishing using mainframe reports as input and
spools (publishes) those reports to just about any format (Word, Excel,
NotePad, PDF, etc) to a Windows network share. The app is installed on
a Windows VM, FTP's into the VMS cluster, grabs the reports, converts
them into the required output format and writes them to a network share
on a NAS box. The user maps that network share on their PC and accesses
their documents as needed. The ByRequest app is very flexible, can
handle any type of report, can burst a report by section, lots of
pagination options, etc. There is some setup work involved in defining
the spooler, but once completed, its "set it and forget it". We have
significantly reduced our paper expenses, and this option gives the end
user the ability to burn their reports to CD for archival purposes.

Jim