Selden E Ball Jr wrote:

> Is there any way to persuade a Multinet print queue
> to send print jobs to a file in a user's directory?
>
> For example, can the spooling directory be redefined
> on a per-queue basis?
>
> I don't see any mention of a "print to file" option in the
> Multinet documentation. Have I overlooked it?
>
> Apparently it may be a future option in DCPS, but our need is now :-)
>
> Alternatively, does anyone know of another print symbiont that
> can do this?
>
> There seems to be a Windows based solution (sending print jobs to
> queues on individuals' PCs) but I'd like to avoid that if possible.
>
> Our business office is trying to reduce the amount of paper records
> they have to keep. The mainframe application that they're running
> sends print jobs to lpr/lpd queues that are served by our
> VMS/Multinet system.
>
> They're currently testing scanning the printer output and using OCR,
> That's what they'll have to do for existing documents, but it'd
> be nice to avoid that effort for future documents.
>
> I think that one queue per user, each writing a specific
> directory would be an acceptable solution.
>
> Thanks for whatever help you can provide.
>
> Selden
> ======
> Selden E. Ball, Jr.
>
> Cornell University Voice: +1-607-255-0688
> Laboratory for Elementary-Particle Physics FAX: +1-607-255-8062
> LT105 R. R. Wilson Laboratory http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/
> Dryden Road Internet: SEB@LEPP.CORNELL.EDU
> Ithaca, NY, USA 14853-8001 HEPnet/SPAN: LNS62::SEB = 44284::SEB

See my DRAIN program written for this exact purpose (adopted from a very
old program by Aaron Leonard) at

http://wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu/vmswww/drain.html

and also on the OpenVMS Freeware v7 CDroms.

(we too have lots of mainframe output going to our VMS boxes; still
a happy Jnet user too :-) )

Verne
Verne Britton, Lead Systems Programmer voice: (304) 293-5192 x230
Systems Support Group (in WV, call 1-800-253-1558)
West Virginia Network for FAX: (304) 293-5540
Educational Telecomputing verne@wvnet.edu
837 Chestnut Ridge Road http://vaxa.wvnet.edu/~verne
Morgantown, WV 26505 http://www.wvnet.edu