Re: Running a news server on OpenVMS - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Running a news server on OpenVMS - VMS ; The last news server I ran on VMS was DNEWS (from NetWin). It worked much better on VMS since it used larger files that could contain hundreds of individual news items in them Unfortunately, they stopped developing the VMS version ...

  1. Re: Running a news server on OpenVMS

    The last news server I ran on VMS was DNEWS (from NetWin). It worked
    much better on VMS since it used larger files that could contain
    hundreds of individual news items in them

    Unfortunately, they stopped developing the VMS version many years ago. I
    don't even know whether they still have it available for download.

    --Marc

  2. Re: Running a news server on OpenVMS

    In article <4538495E.90705@bluevine.net>, Marc Chametzky writes:
    > The last news server I ran on VMS was DNEWS (from NetWin). It worked
    > much better on VMS since it used larger files that could contain
    > hundreds of individual news items in them
    >
    > Unfortunately, they stopped developing the VMS version many years ago. I
    > don't even know whether they still have it available for download.

    We still run DNEWS on our cluster. It works very well on VMS with any
    TCP/IP which provides UCX emulation. NetWin no longer develops it for
    any platform, but I believe the last VMS version is still in the download
    area. It does, however, require a license key. You might be able to
    talk them out of a key depending on what you plan to use it for (the
    license was free for educational use).

    I also have the last version (V6.2-1) of ANUNews along with a patch or
    two for it if you need a copy.

    George Cook
    WVNET

  3. Re: Running a news server on OpenVMS

    George Cook wrote:

    > In article <4538495E.90705@bluevine.net>, Marc Chametzky writes:
    >
    >>The last news server I ran on VMS was DNEWS (from NetWin). It worked
    >>much better on VMS since it used larger files that could contain
    >>hundreds of individual news items in them
    >>
    >>Unfortunately, they stopped developing the VMS version many years ago. I
    >>don't even know whether they still have it available for download.

    > We still run DNEWS on our cluster. It works very well on VMS with any
    > TCP/IP which provides UCX emulation. NetWin no longer develops it for
    > any platform, but I believe the last VMS version is still in the download
    > area. It does, however, require a license key. You might be able to
    > talk them out of a key depending on what you plan to use it for (the
    > license was free for educational use).
    >
    > I also have the last version (V6.2-1) of ANUNews along with a patch or
    > two for it if you need a copy.
    >

    > George Cook
    > WVNET

    Thanks, I'll let you know.

    Jim

  4. Re: Running a news server on OpenVMS

    George Cook wrote:

    > In article <4538495E.90705@bluevine.net>, Marc Chametzky writes:
    >
    >>The last news server I ran on VMS was DNEWS (from NetWin). It worked
    >>much better on VMS since it used larger files that could contain
    >>hundreds of individual news items in them
    >>
    >>Unfortunately, they stopped developing the VMS version many years ago. I
    >>don't even know whether they still have it available for download.

    > We still run DNEWS on our cluster. It works very well on VMS with any
    > TCP/IP which provides UCX emulation. NetWin no longer develops it for
    > any platform, but I believe the last VMS version is still in the download
    > area. It does, however, require a license key. You might be able to
    > talk them out of a key depending on what you plan to use it for (the
    > license was free for educational use).
    >
    > I also have the last version (V6.2-1) of ANUNews along with a patch or
    > two for it if you need a copy.
    >

    > George Cook
    > WVNET

    Thanks, I'll let you know.