Re: Running a news server on OpenVMS - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Running a news server on OpenVMS - VMS ; The version that I still have here is 6.1b7. We no longer run our own feed, but do provide the software as a client to read from a local ISP's feed. I can zip what I have up and make ...

  1. Re: Running a news server on OpenVMS

    The version that I still have here is 6.1b7. We no longer run our own
    feed, but do provide the software as a client to read from a local ISP's
    feed. I can zip what I have up and make it available to you if you
    would want that.

    -ken

    Jim Mehlhop wrote:

    > At 04:20 PM 10/19/2006 -0500, Ken Connelly wrote:
    >
    >> In the long, LONG ago days, I used to run ANU-News here. That worked
    >> okay, but the VMS filesystem really isn't well-suited for news
    >> because the device holding the articles will become VERY fragmented
    >> VERY quickly. I was trying to run a fairly complete feed at the
    >> time. If you were looking at a limited number of newsgroups, then
    >> this might be more of a doable thing.

    > I was looking to run a limited number of news groups. Also since I am
    > running V8.2 the directory can handle more files. The fragmentation
    > issue could be a pain.
    >
    > How does one go about gettting/running ANU-News
    >
    > Jim
    >

    >> - ken
    >>
    >> Jim Mehlhop wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'd like to know how to set up my VMS box as a news server. I am
    >>> running Multinet 5.1 and OpenVMS8.2 Alpha on a PWS500au with 640 meg
    >>> and about 60 GB of free disk space. I could probably dedicate an
    >>> 18GB disk for this.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any documentation for this?
    >>>

    >>> Jim

    >> --
    >> - Ken
    >> ================================================== ===============
    >> Ken Connelly Associate Director, Security and Systems
    >> ITS Network Services University of Northern Iowa
    >> email: Ken.Connelly@uni.edu p: (319) 273-5850 f: (319) 273-7373
    >> It's much more important to know what you don't know than what you do
    >> know!
    >>

    > Jim Mehlhop
    >
    > Join Cauce to outlaw spam
    > http://www.cauce.org/

  2. Re: Running a news server on OpenVMS

    I'll let you know if I decide to go that way.

    Thanks,
    Jim

    Ken Connelly wrote:

    > The version that I still have here is 6.1b7. We no longer run our own
    > feed, but do provide the software as a client to read from a local ISP's
    > feed. I can zip what I have up and make it available to you if you
    > would want that.
    >
    > -ken
    >
    > Jim Mehlhop wrote:
    >
    >> At 04:20 PM 10/19/2006 -0500, Ken Connelly wrote:
    >>
    >>> In the long, LONG ago days, I used to run ANU-News here. That worked
    >>> okay, but the VMS filesystem really isn't well-suited for news
    >>> because the device holding the articles will become VERY fragmented
    >>> VERY quickly. I was trying to run a fairly complete feed at the
    >>> time. If you were looking at a limited number of newsgroups, then
    >>> this might be more of a doable thing.

    >> I was looking to run a limited number of news groups. Also since I am
    >> running V8.2 the directory can handle more files. The fragmentation
    >> issue could be a pain.
    >>
    >> How does one go about gettting/running ANU-News
    >>
    >> Jim
    >>

    >>> - ken

    >>> --
    >>> - Ken
    >>> ================================================== ===============
    >>> Ken Connelly Associate Director, Security and Systems
    >>> ITS Network Services University of Northern Iowa
    >>> email: Ken.Connelly@uni.edu p: (319) 273-5850 f: (319) 273-7373
    >>> It's much more important to know what you don't know than what you do
    >>> know!
    >>>

    >> Jim Mehlhop
    >>
    >> Join Cauce to outlaw spam
    >> http://www.cauce.org/

  3. Re: Running a news server on OpenVMS

    Ken Connelly wrote:

    > The version that I still have here is 6.1b7. We no longer run our own
    > feed, but do provide the software as a client to read from a local ISP's
    > feed. I can zip what I have up and make it available to you if you
    > would want that.
    >
    > -ken
    >
    > Jim Mehlhop wrote:
    >
    >> At 04:20 PM 10/19/2006 -0500, Ken Connelly wrote:
    >>
    >>> In the long, LONG ago days, I used to run ANU-News here. That worked
    >>> okay, but the VMS filesystem really isn't well-suited for news
    >>> because the device holding the articles will become VERY fragmented
    >>> VERY quickly. I was trying to run a fairly complete feed at the
    >>> time. If you were looking at a limited number of newsgroups, then
    >>> this might be more of a doable thing.

    >> I was looking to run a limited number of news groups. Also since I am
    >> running V8.2 the directory can handle more files. The fragmentation
    >> issue could be a pain.
    >>
    >> How does one go about gettting/running ANU-News
    >>
    >> Jim
    >>

    >>> - ken

    >>> --
    >>> - Ken
    >>> Ken Connelly Associate Director, Security and Systems
    >>> ITS Network Services University of Northern Iowa
    >>> email: Ken.Connelly@uni.edu p: (319) 273-5850 f: (319) 273-7373
    >>> It's much more important to know what you don't know than what you do
    >>> know!
    >>>

    >> Jim Mehlhop
    >>
    >> Join Cauce to outlaw spam
    >> http://www.cauce.org/