Re: localhost tries to go through the outside world - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: localhost tries to go through the outside world - VMS ; Paul Sture wrote: > In article , > Michael Corbett wrote: > >> It is Nslookup ignoring the contents of my HOSTS.LOCAL. NSLOOKUP >> only uses DNS and not the hosts tables. >> > > But *Everything* ignores HOSTS.LOCAL. > ...

  1. Re: localhost tries to go through the outside world

    Paul Sture wrote:
    > In article <45095046.3040008@process.com>,
    > Michael Corbett wrote:
    >
    >> It is Nslookup ignoring the contents of my HOSTS.LOCAL. NSLOOKUP
    >> only uses DNS and not the hosts tables.
    >>

    > But *Everything* ignores HOSTS.LOCAL.
    >
    > ssh, telnet, ftp, and it's those I would like to get working.

    They will use the hosts file after going to dns if they
    *do not* get an answer from DNS. You always get an answer from
    DNS so it never gets to the hosts file.

    regards
    Mike

    Michael Corbett Email: Corbett@process.com
    Process Software Phone: 800 722-7770 x369
    959 Concord St. 508 879-6994 x369
    Framingham MA 01701-4682 FAX: 508 879-0042

  2. Re: localhost tries to go through the outside world

    In article <4509AC37.9080704@process.com>,
    Michael Corbett wrote:

    > Paul Sture wrote:
    > > In article <45095046.3040008@process.com>,
    > > Michael Corbett wrote:
    > >
    > >> It is Nslookup ignoring the contents of my HOSTS.LOCAL. NSLOOKUP
    > >> only uses DNS and not the hosts tables.
    > >>

    > > But *Everything* ignores HOSTS.LOCAL.
    > >
    > > ssh, telnet, ftp, and it's those I would like to get working.
    > >

    > They will use the hosts file after going to dns if they
    > *do not* get an answer from DNS. You always get an answer from
    > DNS so it never gets to the hosts file.

    OK. I've just tried re-running CONFIGURE.COM in an attempt to start from
    scratch and made sure that I chose Host Tables. I still didn't get far,
    although this time accessing localhost did work.

    Now reinstalling from scratch and logging everything I do. :-)

    --
    Paul Sture

  3. Re: localhost tries to go through the outside world

    Michael Corbett wrote:

    > They will use the hosts file after going to dns if they
    > *do not* get an answer from DNS. You always get an answer from
    > DNS so it never gets to the hosts file.

    Problem over, thanks.

    I did a fresh install, this time going for host tables in CONFIGURE.COM,
    and all is OK.

    --
    Paul Sture

+ Reply to Thread