Gee, talk about Deja-News (I mean deja vu)... I did a quick Google Groups
search and found a similar question.

(Dan, I see you were being helpful back then, too.)

Searching Google Groups for the string "%SSHD 0003-E-fatal: Local: Yourssh
version is too old" will bring up what I found from back in 2001.

Bob Blum
---------------------------------

Hello,
I would be interested in an explanation to the following console
message:
%SSHD 0003-E-fatal: Local: Your ssh version is too old and is no
longer \0* *supported. *Please install a newer version.
I assume it came from Multinet, V4.3 with all patches installed on
OpenVMS
7.1-2 .
Regards, \0* *Christoph Gartmann

Are you doing anything when these happen, or are they just happening on

occasion? *This message indicates that a V1.0 client has attempted to
establish a session with the server, and we don't support that version
of
the protocol. *If it's just happening once in a while (i.e., users
aren't
complaining they can't get in), it's possible this is a breakin
attempt.

+-----------------------------*--+---------------------------*---------
---+
| Dan O'Reilly * * * * * * * * *|

| Principal Engineer * * * * * *| *"Why should I careabout
posterity? *|
| Process Software * * * * * * *| * What's posterity ever done for me?"
|
| http://www.process.com * * * *| * * * * * * ** * *-- Groucho
Marx * *|
+-----------------------------*--+---------------------------*---------
---+

That message is also generated when you get scanned by the program
scanssh (available from the openssh ftp server), so it's possible
you're being scanned to determine your ssh server version (either for
good or for nefarious purposes). We certainly used the tool to scanour

own networks here for vulnerable servers.
Graham
--
------------------------------*------------------------------*---------
----

-----------------------------------
Bob Blum
OpenVMS Systems Support
IBM Global Services
Internet E-Mail: bdblum@us.ibm.com
-----------------------------------
This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential
and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any
reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this
transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy
the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format..

"Dan O'Reilly" wrote on 08/30/2005 02:40:01 PM:

> That's what it looks like (a probe) to me. Would it be correct to
> say there have been 671 SSH logins on your system since it was last
> rebooted?
>
> At 11:46 AM 8/30/2005, David Spencer, Internet Handyman wrote:
> >MN 5.1 on OpenVMS AXP 7.2-1
> >
> >I've received a couple of these messages from OPCOM. Does this simply

mean