I've finally found an excuse/opportunity to try MultiNet's flavor of IPP
printing. A department wants to print to special paper kept in a
particular tray. Once I see it supports IPP, I think, "No problem..."

The printer is a Xerox 5500DX that, according to their documentation,
supports "Microsoft IPP" (my first clue of impending trouble).

First things first, does it print at all? Yes! (After reading MultiNet's
documentation about timing issues with some "creative" implementations
of IPP, I thought it might be an issue, especially after seeing Xerox
mention MS.) A simple print job prints from the default tray just fine.

Using the MultiNet documentation, we tried printing to various trays
using the /param=media=xxx parameter. Here is MultiNet's documentation
for media names:

Table 16-2 Input Tray Names
Name Description
top The top input tray in the printer.
middle The middle input tray in the printer.
bottom The bottom input tray in the printer.
envelope The envelope input tray in the printer.
manual The manual feed input tray in the printer.
large-capacity The large capacity input tray in the printer.
main The main input tray
side The side input tray

None of these media names work.

The printer has a built-in web server which displays all kinds of useful
information (such as the IPP uri I needed to define the queue). Here is
what it says about the "Input Trays":

Input Trays

Paper Size
Tray 1 Legal
Tray 2 Auto-Sensed
Tray 3 Auto-Sensed
Tray 4 Auto-Sensed
Tray 5 Auto-Sensed
Tray 6 Auto-Sensed

Paper Types
Tray 1 Plain Paper
Tray 2 Plain Paper
Tray 3 Plain Paper
Tray 4 Labels
Tray 5 Special
Tray 6 Plain Paper

Here are the opcom messages of failure for the media names I've tried:

$ search operator.log media
VerifyJob: /MEDIA parameter for entry 9309, queue blah, specified value
'TOP' but printer at http://blah/ipp does not support media.

VerifyJob: /MEDIA parameter for entry 9312, queue blah, specified value
'MAIN' but printer at http://blah/ipp does not support media.

VerifyJob: /MEDIA parameter for entry 9362, queue blah, specified value
'TRAY3' but printer at http://blah/ipp doesnot support media.

VerifyJob: /MEDIA parameter for entry 9314, queue blah, specified value
'2' but printer at http://blah/ipp does notsupport media.

VerifyJob: /MEDIA parameter for entry 9368, queue blah, specified value
'TRAY3' but printer at http://blah/ipp doesnot support media.

VerifyJob: /MEDIA parameter for entry 9369, queue blah, specified value
'TRAY_3' but printer at http://blah/ipp does not support media.

VerifyJob: /MEDIA parameter for entry 9373, queue blah, specified value
'SPECIAL' but printer at http://blah/ipp does not support media.

VerifyJob: /MEDIA parameter for entry 9377, queue blah, specified value
'TABLOID' but printer at http://blah/ipp does not support media.

VerifyJob: /MEDIA parameter for entry 9378, queue blah, specified value
'3' but printer at http://blah/ipp does notsupport media.

VerifyJob: /MEDIA parameter for entry 9388, queue blah, specified value
'PLAINPAPER' but printer at http://blah/ippdoes not support media.

VerifyJob: /MEDIA parameter for entry 9398, queue blah, specified value
'LOWER' but printer at http://blah/ipp doesnot support media.

VerifyJob: /MEDIA parameter for entry 9399, queue blah, specified value
'UPPER' but printer at http://blah/ipp doesnot support media.

VerifyJob: /MEDIA parameter for entry 9408, queue blah, specified value
'MEDIA3' but printer at http://blah/ipp does not support media.

VerifyJob: /MEDIA parameter for entry 9409, queue blah, specified value
'MEDIA_3' but printer at http://blah/ipp does not support media.

I've sent in a request for help from Xerox but I tend toward pessimism
when it comes to support from the megacorps. Their documentation didn't
help.

If anyone has figured this out, I'd love to hear from you; otherwise,
suggestions are welcome.

Michael Fleming
CSU, Bakersfield