We saw erratic behaviour a bit like this on a 4050 (printing using cups
from Tru64, rather than Multinet, but maybe it still applies). It was
quite strange, as I could watch the port counters on the switch, and it
really appeared as if data transfer just stopped until the daemon timed
out and halted the queue.

It seemed to be fixed eventually by upgrading the firmware in the
printer. This was the internal firmware DIMM, not the downloadable
jetdirect firmware (although you might check that first). Over time
we've seen a number of firmware problems with this era of printer (4000
onwards, when they switched to ersatz PostScript). The current releases
seem more trouble-free. We found and ordered the firmware DIMM through
partsurfer.hp.com.

The other suggestion of checking for network duplex mismatches also
sounds worthwhile.

Graham
Graham Allan - I.T. Manager - gta@umn.edu - (612) 624-5040
School of Physics and Astronomy - University of Minnesota