Re: Off-the-wall TCPware/Multinet Question - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Off-the-wall TCPware/Multinet Question - VMS ; Jeremy Begg wrote: > > Another option would be to carefully manage the MULTINET:SERVICES.MASTER_SERVER > file so that MultiNet starts up with TELNET disabled. But it would be > rather messy to get consistently right. > Another thing you could ...

  1. Re: Off-the-wall TCPware/Multinet Question

    Jeremy Begg wrote:

    > Another option would be to carefully manage the MULTINET:SERVICES.MASTER_SERVER
    > file so that MultiNet starts up with TELNET disabled. But it would be
    > rather messy to get consistently right.

    Another thing you could try is to pass "NOSERVER" as p1
    to start_multinet.com. The code does the following -

    $ If P1 .Nes. "NOSERVER" .And. F$Search("MultiNet:Server.Exe") .Nes. "" Then -
    $ @MultiNet:Start_Server

    Then you could execute multinet:start_server.com later in the
    system startup.

    Mike

  2. Re: Off-the-wall TCPware/Multinet Question

    Michael Corbett wrote:

    > Jeremy Begg wrote:
    >

    > > Another option would be to carefully manage the MULTINET:SERVICES.MASTER_SERVER
    > > file so that MultiNet starts up with TELNET disabled. But it would be
    > > rather messy to get consistently right.
    > >

    > Another thing you could try is to pass "NOSERVER" as p1
    > to start_multinet.com. The code does the following -
    >
    > $ If P1 .Nes. "NOSERVER" .And. F$Search("MultiNet:Server.Exe") .Nes. "" Then -
    > $ @MultiNet:Start_Server
    >
    > Then you could execute multinet:start_server.com later in the
    > system startup.

    What kind of fall-out could I expect from that? That is, what other
    inbound connections will fail besides Telnet? How 'bout print queues?

    ....and how (in)compatible would that be with Oracle, MQ Series and
    Cerner Millennium?

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems