Dave Spencer wrote:

> This is sort of a Multinet question since we're running Multinet on our
> Alphas. It's also in the Process Software arena because they might have
> a product that helps me. Here's the deal:

> I got a call today from one of our big customers. We handle hundreds of
> email boxes for them on the OpenVMS machine. They want to start retaining
> all the messages sent and received through our box in case there is ever
> any legal action that relates to internal email. Currently there is
> nothing at all that we do to archive email.

> The question is this: what can we do (or buy) that can meet this new
> requirement? Someday (months? years?) from now they've said that they're
> going to move their email to their own MS Exchange server. But they
> can't wait any longer. Suggestions??

I want to echo Francesco's suggestion of PMDF. Works beautifully with
Multinet. You could route everything through a channel that makes an
archive copy of each message - you collect every message sent and received, and
the users don't get their mitts on them to delete them.

If PMDF - which isn't _that_ pricey - is too pricey, you could get MX, which is
cheaper (something like $500), and route everything through the SITE channel,
and, similarly, have some DCL that appends every message that goes through the
system to a log file.

In either approach, you could have a daily log including all message text and
headers, and then back that off to tape or burn a CD.

-- Alan

Alan Winston --- WINSTON@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
Disclaimer: I speak only for myself, not SLAC or SSRL Phone: 650/926-3056
Paper mail to: SSRL -- SLAC BIN 99, 2575 Sand Hill Rd, Menlo Park CA 94025