Bill,

As Norm pointed out you have a typo; "nbstat" should be nbtstat. However
to answer your question: No, "nbtstat" is a standard Windows command and
does not require the Resource Kit be installed.

It is not until you understand what you do not know that the learning
process starts.

Mark D. Schuster, Sr Systems Analyst -- WWIS, Server Services
markschusterkodakcom
Eastman Kodak Company
3/56/KP Mail Code 2-4503
343 State Street
Rochester, NY 14652-4503
Phone: (585) 477-5744, Knet: 2575744, FAX: (585) 722-0415

norm.raphael@metso.com
2005/04/21 14:39
Please respond to Info-MultiNet

To: info-multinet@process.com
cc:
Subject: Re: Detecting SSH attacks

None of my concern, but
> > Windows command prompt, type:
> >
> > C:>/ nbtstat -a 'ip_address'

is not the same as:
> 'nbstat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

since the suggested command as a "t" as it's third letter....
bill@triangle.cs.uofs.edu wrote on 04/21/2005 02:01:45 PM:

> In article ,
> mark.schuster@kodak.com writes:
> >
> > Not that it will help a lot but, the hexadecimal representation of the

IP
> > address and port is returned as the "Remote username" in the security
> > alarms below. If it is an IP address on *your* network you could,

from
> > Windows command prompt, type:
> >
> > C:>/ nbtstat -a 'ip_address'
> >
> > This will return the PC's workstation name and the user logged in at

the
> > time you executed the command. Caveat here is the intruder would have

> > be at a PC, on your network and the DHCP lease had not expired.

> Just for grins I tried it on two different machines. One running XP
> and one running 2000 Server. Result was the same:
> 'nbstat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> Are you sure you don't need the optional Resource Kit in order to
> have this command?
>
> bill
>

> --
> Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three

wolves