Re: Detecting SSH attacks - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Detecting SSH attacks - VMS ; None of my concern, but > > Windows command prompt, type: > > > > C:>/ nbtstat -a 'ip_address' is not the same as: > 'nbstat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, since the suggested command as ...

  1. Re: Detecting SSH attacks

    None of my concern, but
    > > Windows command prompt, type:
    > >
    > > C:>/ nbtstat -a 'ip_address'

    is not the same as:
    > 'nbstat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

    since the suggested command as a "t" as it's third letter....
    bill@triangle.cs.uofs.edu wrote on 04/21/2005 02:01:45 PM:

    > In article ,
    > mark.schuster@kodak.com writes:
    > >
    > > Not that it will help a lot but, the hexadecimal representation of the

    IP
    > > address and port is returned as the "Remote username" in the security
    > > alarms below. If it is an IP address on *your* network you could, from

    > > Windows command prompt, type:
    > >
    > > C:>/ nbtstat -a 'ip_address'
    > >
    > > This will return the PC's workstation name and the user logged in at

    the
    > > time you executed the command. Caveat here is the intruder would have

    > > be at a PC, on your network and the DHCP lease had not expired.

    > Just for grins I tried it on two different machines. One running XP
    > and one running 2000 Server. Result was the same:
    > 'nbstat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    > operable program or batch file.
    >
    > Are you sure you don't need the optional Resource Kit in order to
    > have this command?
    >
    > bill
    >

    > --
    > Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three

    wolves
    > bill@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    > University of Scranton |
    > Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  2. Re: Detecting SSH attacks

    In article ,
    norm.raphael@metso.com writes:

    > None of my concern, but
    >> > Windows command prompt, type:
    >> >
    >> > C:>/ nbtstat -a 'ip_address'

    > is not the same as:
    >> 'nbstat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

    > since the suggested command as a "t" as it's third letter....

    Oops. Sorry about that. Maybe it's time for a larger monitor and
    fontsize, Now, at least, I can play with that command to see if it
    offers any information of value when applied against the machines in
    my lab.

    bill

    > bill@triangle.cs.uofs.edu wrote on 04/21/2005 02:01:45 PM:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> mark.schuster@kodak.com writes:
    >> >
    >> > Not that it will help a lot but, the hexadecimal representation of the

    > IP
    >> > address and port is returned as the "Remote username" in the security
    >> > alarms below. If it is an IP address on *your* network you could, from

    >> > Windows command prompt, type:
    >> >
    >> > C:>/ nbtstat -a 'ip_address'
    >> >
    >> > This will return the PC's workstation name and the user logged in at

    > the
    >> > time you executed the command. Caveat here is the intruder would have

    >> > be at a PC, on your network and the DHCP lease had not expired.

    >> Just for grins I tried it on two different machines. One running XP
    >> and one running 2000 Server. Result was the same:
    >> 'nbstat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    >> operable program or batch file.
    >>
    >> Are you sure you don't need the optional Resource Kit in order to
    >> have this command?
    >>
    >> bill
    >>

    >> --
    >> Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three

    > wolves
    >> bill@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    >> University of Scranton |
    >> Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include