Re: Patching Multinet V5 - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Patching Multinet V5 - VMS ; On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:34:54 +0000 (GMT), "Doc." wrote: > >This may seem like a stupid question, but... > >We've got a new node joining the Deathrow Cluster (GEIN:: - DS10L Donated >by Island). It's got Multinet 5.0 on ...

  1. Re: Patching Multinet V5

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:34:54 +0000 (GMT), "Doc." wrote:

    >This may seem like a stupid question, but...
    >
    >We've got a new node joining the Deathrow Cluster (GEIN:: - DS10L Donated
    >by Island). It's got Multinet 5.0 on it and I'm patching that.
    >
    >Based on the list on the process site I installed IF_PD-010_A050 and
    >INETDRIVER-020_A050. I then rebooted as INETDRIVER said "you *must*
    >reboot".
    >
    >Now I'm looking at what goes next. KERNEL-UPDATE-707_A050 is next on the
    >list, but it states that it requires UCXDRIVER-012_A050 or later.
    >UCXDRIVER-020_A050 is there, but it states that it requires the kernel
    >patch first.
    >
    >What would be the recommended course of action here? Also, can I just
    >install all the remaining patches prior to rebooting, or are there any that
    >can cause instability without an immediate reboot?

    You should install all of them and then do one reboot.

    The key is that we are telling yuo that the changes in the code for one eco
    require changes made in another. For example, a UCXDRIVER may require a new
    routine from the kernel and therefore, the UCXDRIVER will state that it
    requires whatever version of the kernel eco introduced that new routine.
    Since ecos are cumulative, later kernel ecos would also provide the routine.

    Hope that helps.

    >Doc.
    >--
    >OpenVMS: Eight out of ten hackers prefer *other* operating systems.
    >http://www.openvms-rocks.com Deathrow Public-Access OpenVMS Cluster.

    Geoff Bryant bryant@process.com
    TCPware/MultiNet/PMDF/SSH/PreciseMailAntiSpam Engineering
    Process Software http://www.process.com/
    959 Concord St.
    Framingham, MA 01701 USA

  2. Re: Patching Multinet V5

    %NEWS-I-NEWMSG, Geoff Bryant wrote in

    > You should install all of them and then do one reboot.
    >
    > The key is that we are telling yuo that the changes in the code for
    > one eco require changes made in another. For example, a UCXDRIVER
    > may require a new routine from the kernel and therefore, the UCXDRIVER
    > will state that it requires whatever version of the kernel eco
    > introduced that new routine. Since ecos are cumulative, later kernel
    > ecos would also provide the routine.

    Thank you.

    I suspected that, but I'd had some hiccups with the OS patches so I wanted
    to double-check.

    Doc.

+ Reply to Thread