Re: smtp_aliases and descriptive names - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: smtp_aliases and descriptive names - VMS ; RFC821 (RFC2821) doesn't use display-names -- RFC822 (RFC2822) does. How about just using a comment above or below the entry? -d On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Michael Fleming wrote: > I have been trying different "intuitive" ways of creating entries ...

  1. Re: smtp_aliases and descriptive names

    RFC821 (RFC2821) doesn't use display-names -- RFC822 (RFC2822) does.

    How about just using a comment above or below the entry?

    -d

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Michael Fleming wrote:

    > I have been trying different "intuitive" ways of creating entries in the
    > smtp_aliases file that include fuller, more descriptive names. As an
    > example, here is the last failed attempt:
    >
    > mftest: mfleming@csub.edu "Fleming, Michael W. (CSUB)";
    >
    > Is what I want possible? According to the comments in the smtp_aliases
    > template file the address is supposed to be in rfc821 form, which, I
    > believe, the following is:
    >
    > mftest: "Fleming, Michael W. (CSUB)" ;
    >
    > However, that doesn't work either.
    >
    > What am I missing?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Michael Fleming
    > CSU, Bakersfield

  2. Re: smtp_aliases and descriptive names

    In article <20050401064005.E17757@skylane.kjsl.com>,
    Dan Wing wrote:

    > RFC821 (RFC2821) doesn't use display-names -- RFC822 (RFC2822) does.
    >
    > How about just using a comment above or below the entry?

    Yeah, I thought of that. Being able to use the display names just seems
    "better".

+ Reply to Thread