A quick answer: follow standard troubleshooting methods. Since this worked
before, check for any other changes since it last worked.

You said these were restricted accounts, and you are seeing login issues.
Try looking for any changes to the LOGIN.COM or SYLOGIN.COM files. Look
for modification dates since the SSH login worked. (Although I do recall
having a problem where someone had deleted the current login file, and the
older version is what started to cause a problem.) I'm not up to speedon
SSH, but if its server process (if any) runs under another account, check
for any changes there.

Bob Blum
bdblum at us dot ibm dot com