Spamcop - VMS

This is a discussion on Spamcop - VMS ; I just wanted to get the reactions of all the knowledgable mail admins on this list. I just received a complaint from Spamcop that our server sent out an "unsolicited bounce". Apparently someone forged an email address on a piece ...

  1. Spamcop

    I just wanted to get the reactions of all the knowledgable mail admins on
    this list. I just received a complaint from Spamcop that our server sent
    out an "unsolicited bounce". Apparently someone forged an email address
    on a piece of spam, the message bounced, and the bounce, of course, went
    to the forged address. The owner of this address complained to Spamcop,
    and it would seem Spamcop considers this a legitimate complaint. They now
    recommend that mail servers not send bounce messages. They group it in
    with auto-responders. Here's what they say about it:

    **************
    From http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/329.html:

    Problem: Misdirected bounces

    can't deliver the message, it is required to send back a bounce email to
    the sender of the original message. These bounce emails are often
    misdirected.

    Solution: Upgrade and/or configure your mail server software so that this
    situation is never encountered. Configure your software to either reject
    messages during delivery or accept them permanently. Do not let your
    software make choices about delivery after it has accepted a message. If
    you must accept delivery before you know the status of a message, then file
    it internally - do not send, forward or bounce it outside your
    organization. The errant message can be placed in a special folder or
    routed to your postmaster.

    Avoid offloading your filtering task onto random third parties. You must
    filter your own mail, not ask others to do it for you.
    **************

    Has anyone else seen this? Am I behind the times, or have bounce messages
    now become a bad thing? Or has Spamcop just gone off the deep end?

    --

    Tim Calvert
    Lead Systems Programmer email: calvert@marshall.edu

  2. Re: Spamcop

    In article <01LOA9CXET4O8Y76W7@mail.marshall.edu>, Tim Calvert writes:
    >I just wanted to get the reactions of all the knowledgable mail admins on
    >this list. I just received a complaint from Spamcop that our server sent
    >out an "unsolicited bounce". Apparently someone forged an email address
    >on a piece of spam, the message bounced, and the bounce, of course, went
    >to the forged address. The owner of this address complained to Spamcop,
    >and it would seem Spamcop considers this a legitimate complaint. They now
    >recommend that mail servers not send bounce messages. They group it in
    >with auto-responders. Here's what they say about it:
    >
    >**************
    >From http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/329.html:
    >
    >Problem: Misdirected bounces

    >can't deliver the message, it is required to send back a bounce email to
    >the sender of the original message. These bounce emails are often
    >misdirected.
    >
    >Solution: Upgrade and/or configure your mail server software so that this
    >situation is never encountered. Configure your software to either reject
    >messages during delivery or accept them permanently. Do not let your
    >software make choices about delivery after it has accepted a message. If
    >you must accept delivery before you know the status of a message, then file
    >it internally - do not send, forward or bounce it outside your
    >organization. The errant message can be placed in a special folder or
    >routed to your postmaster.
    >
    >Avoid offloading your filtering task onto random third parties. You must
    >filter your own mail, not ask others to do it for you.
    >**************
    >
    >Has anyone else seen this? Am I behind the times, or have bounce messages
    >now become a bad thing? Or has Spamcop just gone off the deep end?

    Unfortunately spamcop and a few others have gone off the deep end.
    There are many circumstances in which systems cannot be set up to reject mail
    during the SMTP dialogue.

    I particularly like their

    "
    Avoid offloading your filtering task onto random third parties. You must
    filter your own mail, not ask others to do it for you.
    "

    There are companies whose whole business model involves filtering mail for
    other organisations.
    Even if it isn't their main business many other bodies provide this service for
    smaller companies eg The UK education network JANET Mailer Shield service
    http://www.ja.net/mailer_shield/how_it_works.html

    David Webb
    Security team leader
    CCSS
    Middlesex University

    >--
    >
    >Tim Calvert
    >Lead Systems Programmer email: calvert@marshall.edu
    >Marshall University Phone: (304)696-3210
    >Huntington, WV FAX: (304)696-3601

+ Reply to Thread