Marylin Bell wrote:

>A comment on Thunderbird: we have many people using it as their client to POP
>email out of regular mailboxes on Unix, and we're happy with it when used in
>that way. Some of our users are set up to use IMAP instead of POP, and I
>haven't heard of too much trouble, but we did have one user with a large
>mailbox (about 200MB) who experienced such poor IMAP performance with
>Thunderbird that we had to switch him back to Netscape 4.77. Netscape, at
>least that version, seems to handle the large mailbox much better.

We try to avoid having people use tbird for POP access, but it works
very well for us as an IMAP client. I would suggest that you get the
most recent version (0.8, not the most recent nightly build).

>We also suspect some problems with MacOS X Mail. I have one user in
>particular who is using it who claims that her email is delayed, sometimes
>for days, both incoming and outgoing. One email she showed me has timestamps
>all over the header showing that she sent it on a Tuesday and that it was
>processed and delivered in a timely fashion, but she swears, and she has a
>witness, that she sent it the Friday before. I am wondering whether the Mac
>Mail somehow held on to it after she composed it and did not actually send it
>right away.

Lots of mail clients *can* do that, but then you generally have to do
something proactive to actually send it (click on "send unsent messages"
in tbird. This almost certainly is a case of PEBCAK.

>If anyone would care to share comments / recommendations on the various
>clients that are out there, I'd love to hear them. We are still shopping.

Mozilla's Thunderbird gets my vote. And I steer well clear of LookOut
and other things from micro$oft.

- ken

--
- Ken
Ken Connelly Systems and Operations Manager, ITS Network Services

It's much more important to know what you don't know than what you do know!