On Oct 26, 2004, at 1:17 PM, Marylin Bell wrote:

> A comment on Thunderbird: we have many people using it as their client
> to POP
> email out of regular mailboxes on Unix, and we're happy with it when
> used in
> that way. Some of our users are set up to use IMAP instead of POP,
> and I
> haven't heard of too much trouble, but we did have one user with a
> large
> mailbox (about 200MB) who experienced such poor IMAP performance with
> Thunderbird that we had to switch him back to Netscape 4.77.
> Netscape, at
> least that version, seems to handle the large mailbox much better.
>
> We also suspect some problems with MacOS X Mail. I have one user in
> particular who is using it who claims that her email is delayed,
> sometimes
> for days, both incoming and outgoing. One email she showed me has
> timestamps
> all over the header showing that she sent it on a Tuesday and that it
> was
> processed and delivered in a timely fashion, but she swears, and she
> has a
> witness, that she sent it the Friday before. I am wondering whether
> the Mac
> Mail somehow held on to it after she composed it and did not actually
> send it
> right away.
>
> If anyone would care to share comments / recommendations on the various
> clients that are out there, I'd love to hear them. We are still
> shopping.

I am only a sporadic user of Thunderbird, but have had no problems.

I do use MacOSX Mail for all my mail using PMDF on both T64 and VMS
servers.

The first thing is to be sure that you're using the latest version of
Mac Mail; there were some older ones that just didn't work properly. I
have had NO problem with Mail since moving to Panther.

The other issue is PMDF on T64 with UNIX mail store. It is slow on big
mailboxes, does weird stuff and I don't like it. I'm hoping that this
will change with 6.2-1 (still to be installed) and we are slowly
screwing up the courage to try MailStore, which I believe should make
these problems go away.

-Ross-