%PMDF-I-VERSION, PMDF version is PMDF V6.2
VAXstation 4000-90 running OpenVMS VAX V7.3
PMDF_SHARE_LIBRARY version V6.2-X17; linked 13:27:50, Sep 8 2003

Ned wrote, quoting me,

> > How can I limit the number of times the system Sieve filter
> > is used to scan a message, preferably to just once?

> There's no way to do this. The entire idea of a system sieve is that
> it applies to every enqueue. If you filters to apply to only a subset
> of enqueues, use source channel filters instead.

I do want the filters to apply to all messages passing through the system,
no matter what their initial channel might be
but I'd really rather not design my own filter channel and try to
figure out how to guarantee it gets handed all messages.

Since the Sieve filter supposedly is invoked by all channels, and
a header Received line seems to get written after the first channel
has completed, I've added an initial test in PMDF.FILTER for a
Received line which claims that the message was received by the
local system and that includes the word PMDF. While all channels still
will load and parse the filter file, the relatively expensive
body searches should happen only once.

Selden