Re: Removing all internal received header lines from outgoing mail - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Removing all internal received header lines from outgoing mail - VMS ; ... > Unfortunately mail messages sent to him through pmdf mailserv > based mailing lists appear to get so many received lines added > that blueyonder thinks they have a mail loop and reject the mail - > which then ...

  1. Re: Removing all internal received header lines from outgoing mail

    > Unfortunately mail messages sent to him through pmdf mailserv
    > based mailing lists appear to get so many received lines added
    > that blueyonder thinks they have a mail loop and reject the mail -
    > which then bounces back and forth between blueyonder and the users
    > VMS account until his quota on the VMS system is used up at which
    > point the deliver batch job can no longer run.

    > What I was wondering was whether I could setup a channel going to
    > blueyonder.co.uk and remove all the internal received lines from
    > mail going out that channel ?

    You could set up a channel

    tcp_strip
    tcp-strip

    with some rewrite rules like:

    blueyonder.co.uk $U%$D@tcp-strip

    and then include a headers option file:

    tcp_strip_headers.opt

    containing the line:

    --
    Bob Tinkelman
    ISPnet, Inc. 718.464.4747

  2. Re: Removing all internal received header lines from outgoing mail

    In article <01L5QS2H127K8ZF4BT@queens.tink.com>, Bob Tinkelman writes:
    >> Unfortunately mail messages sent to him through pmdf mailserv
    >> based mailing lists appear to get so many received lines added
    >> that blueyonder thinks they have a mail loop and reject the mail -
    >> which then bounces back and forth between blueyonder and the users
    >> VMS account until his quota on the VMS system is used up at which
    >> point the deliver batch job can no longer run.

    >> What I was wondering was whether I could setup a channel going to
    >> blueyonder.co.uk and remove all the internal received lines from
    >> mail going out that channel ?

    >You could set up a channel
    >
    > tcp_strip
    > tcp-strip
    >
    >with some rewrite rules like:
    >
    > blueyonder.co.uk $U%$D@tcp-strip
    >
    >and then include a headers option file:
    >
    > tcp_strip_headers.opt
    >
    >containing the line:

    Thanks.

    Unfortunately this looks like it is a more general problem than I had thought
    with sites other than blueyonder.

    What I would like to do is setup a separate outgoing channel for all mail to
    the internet and remove any internal received-lines from mail sent out
    through it. For mail messages sent internally or mail coming in from the
    internet I'd like to keep all the received-lines since that makes tracking
    problem messages easier.

    ie

    Incoming mail -> tcp_local -> switchchannel to internal channels
    keeps all received-lines

    Outgoing mail -> new tcp_external channel which strips received-lines ->
    destination on internet

    But I'm not sure how I can setup a channel (tcp_external) to deal with
    anything but xxx.mdx.ac.uk destined mail.

    David Webb
    VMS and Unix team leader
    CCSS
    Middlesex University