From: owner-info-pdp11@village.org [mailtowner-info-pdp11@village.org] On
Behalf Of John Wilson
Sent: Saturday, November 05, 2005 11:41 AM
To: Info-PDP11@village.org
Subject: Re: SIMH and real hardware

*snippage*

Also, I forget whether the TK50Z-GA has this bug, but on the TZ30 (and
Qualstar 1260S 9-tracker), if you tell it to backspace past BOT (which
PDP-11 OSes will if they feel like it), it'll get brain-damaged. So you
have to keep track of the tape position and make sure you never ask for
that.

Anyway it's definitely pretty neat being able to boot off of real DEC
distribution tapes. The command is e.g. "mount mu0: scsi4:" (if your tape
is
SCSI ID 4), and similar for SCSI disks (which again use raw SCSI commands,
which allows E11 to do low-level formatting and dismount/unload operations).
Linux does a nice job of fitting USB and ATAPI devices which use SCSI
command sets, into the /dev/sg* system, so you can treat them like SCSI
devices from the SW side even if they aren't exactly. And Fuji DynaMOs
are *great* for interchange with real PDP-11s.

John Wilson
D Bit