Aww crap, I blew something. - VMS

This is a discussion on Aww crap, I blew something. - VMS ; Well, I was hooking up my KY11-LB front panel to the machine I have movedinto a BA11-K, and after testing it several times, I saw a (not very big) flash from near the middle of the PSU and the machine ...

  1. Aww crap, I blew something.

    Well, I was hooking up my KY11-LB front panel to the machine I have movedinto a BA11-K, and after testing it several times, I saw a (not very big) flash from near the middle of the PSU and the machine quit working. I inspected the power supply modules (two H7441 regulators and one H745) and it wasn’t fuses, so I am baffled as to what happened.

    I was SOOOO close too, I had got the front panel lights working, the RUN light flashed on power up like it should have, then I realized the power switch was on backwards, cause when you set it from DC OFF to POWER ON (or whatever, this is off the top of my head) it would turn off. I switched the leads, then that’s when it popped.

    I had the leads connected to J3 on the power distribution portion of the power supply (the module that has the power cord attached to it)

    I hope there’s someone on here who can help me, I’m good with computers, but I’m not an electrical engineer, so I’m lost!

    Thanks!

    Julian

  2. Re: Aww crap, I blew something.

    Julian Wolfe (FireflyST) wrote:
    > Well, I was hooking up my KY11-LB front panel to the machine I have moved into a BA11-K, ...

    I didn't quite understand your description, but note that
    the BA11-K setup of a KY11-LB is *different* from the BA11-L
    setup, as described in Chapter 9 of EK-KY11LB-MM-001 (which
    I think you can find on the bitsavers.org site). I'm guessing
    that you reversed TB5 and TB6, which would be a big mistake.

+ Reply to Thread