Re: Dataram SMD controller question - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Dataram SMD controller question - VMS ; That is pretty much what I was thinking as well, but the people at Dataram today probably know very little (if anything) about this old product. They were nice enough to supply me with scans of the two related product ...

  1. Re: Dataram SMD controller question

    That is pretty much what I was thinking as well, but the people at
    Dataram today probably know very little (if anything) about this old
    product. They were nice enough to supply me with scans of the two
    related product brochures:

    http://www.ubanproductions.com/Image...rochure_p1.pdf S35
    http://www.ubanproductions.com/Image...rochure_p2.pdf S33

    Interestingly, both brochures show a board which is very similar
    to mine, but slightly different. Here is a picture of mine:

    http://www.ubanproductions.com/Images/dataram1.jpg

    As the schematic drawing on the S34/A does not match my board, and
    because of the date codes on my ICs, I'm guessing my board is a S33.
    Based on the brochure, depending on the S33/{A,B,C,D} suffix, it
    emulates RM02/5, RP06, or RK07. The ROMs on my board have 'D' written
    on them, so I'm guessing it is an S33/D. Unfortunately, it would seem
    that this means it uses a 'CMD' interface rather than 'SMD'. I'm not
    sure what 'CMD' is, but perhaps if I could make a set of A, B, or C
    ROMs, I could use the board with one of the drives that I have.

    --tom

    At 10:33 AM 6/6/2005 -0700, Tim Shoppa wrote:

    >I think it's unikely that a 1981 board would be UDA50-compatible. The
    >UDA50 was new in 1983, I think.
    >
    >If you can figure out it's CSR (possibly by just plugging it into a
    >backplane and scanning I/O space) it'll help a lot. Most likely it
    >does Massbus emulation.
    >
    >Something in the back of my head tells me that Dataram was reselling
    >Spectralogic boards at one point, but it's been a couple decades so
    >don't trust me on it!
    >
    >Tim.

  2. Re: Dataram SMD controller question

    Speaking of burning new roms for disk boards, has anyone succesfully
    burned custom geometry roms for the emulex sc-21 lately? Anyone
    remember how?

+ Reply to Thread