Dataram SMD controller question - VMS

This is a discussion on Dataram SMD controller question - VMS ; I recently bought a Dataram SMD controller on eBay. I'm now researching exactly which model board it is. There is a manual on bitsavers.org for the S34/A model board, but the board layout is different. I contacted the support group ...

  1. Dataram SMD controller question

    I recently bought a Dataram SMD controller on eBay. I'm now researching
    exactly which model board it is. There is a manual on bitsavers.org for
    the S34/A model board, but the board layout is different. I contacted
    the support group at Dataram (who is still in business) and they think
    that the board may be a model S35 which is supposed to support UDA50
    (emulation I assume). The date codes on the ICs are all around 1981 and
    the assembly number on the board is 65001 which is before the similar
    drawing numbers on the S34/A schematics (65087) and the schematics are
    also dated 1982-1983. So, I am guessing that this board predates the
    S34/A, but not knowing what models were made by Dataram, I am just guessing.

    Any help is appreciated...

    --tnx
    --tom

  2. Re: Dataram SMD controller question

    I think it's unikely that a 1981 board would be UDA50-compatible. The
    UDA50 was new in 1983, I think.

    If you can figure out it's CSR (possibly by just plugging it into a
    backplane and scanning I/O space) it'll help a lot. Most likely it
    does Massbus emulation.

    Something in the back of my head tells me that Dataram was reselling
    Spectralogic boards at one point, but it's been a couple decades so
    don't trust me on it!

    Tim.

+ Reply to Thread