Re: ra disks - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: ra disks - VMS ; jacob.ritorto@gmail.com wrote: >Hi, > Just wanting to get a reliable mass storage device going for the >old 11/73. Can the ra-series disks be interfaced easily? Will 2.11 >BSD be happy with them? Anyone have a large number of them available ...

  1. Re: ra disks

    jacob.ritorto@gmail.com wrote:

    >Hi,
    > Just wanting to get a reliable mass storage device going for the
    >old 11/73. Can the ra-series disks be interfaced easily? Will 2.11
    >BSD be happy with them? Anyone have a large number of them available
    >cheap?

    What about RF disks?

    It is MSCP like the RA-series, KFQSA DSSI adapters don't seem to be too
    rare and RF7x drives are pretty common on eBay.

    2.11 BSD is fine with it too, depending on the latest patch version.

    >thanks
    >jake

    -chuck

  2. Re: ra disks

    Charles H. Dickman wrote:
    > jacob.ritorto@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> Just wanting to get a reliable mass storage device going for the
    >> old 11/73. Can the ra-series disks be interfaced easily? Will 2.11
    >> BSD be happy with them? Anyone have a large number of them available
    >> cheap?
    >>

    > What about RF disks?
    >
    > It is MSCP like the RA-series, KFQSA DSSI adapters don't seem to be too
    > rare and RF7x drives are pretty common on eBay.
    >
    > 2.11 BSD is fine with it too, depending on the latest patch version.
    >
    >> thanks
    >> jake
    >>

    > -chuck

    I don't think any of the DEC PDP-11 OS's support it. However I
    vaguely remember someone (Megan?) saying she was running RT11 on
    a DSSI disk. Perhaps the controller looks just like an MSCP
    controller to the OS, just wasn't supported officially?

    Someone with a reading knowledge of the BSD driver sources could
    probably tell if the KFQSA is a totally different beast from the
    RQDX/KDA/UDA or is similar enough that it has a shot at working.

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

+ Reply to Thread