Reviving an 11/04 - VMS

This is a discussion on Reviving an 11/04 - VMS ; My poor busted 11/04: 1:M7863 2:M7891 3:M9312 M7859 4:----- M7860 5:----- M7860 6:GE Medical Systems T36S1KK (runs a Kennedy 9300) 7:M7840 8:M7762 9:M9302 M7856 When power on the programmers console says: 2 22 and the maint light is on. What ...

  1. Reviving an 11/04

    My poor busted 11/04:

    1:M7863
    2:M7891
    3:M9312 M7859
    4:----- M7860
    5:----- M7860
    6:GE Medical Systems T36S1KK (runs a Kennedy 9300)
    7:M7840
    8:M7762
    9:M9302 M7856

    When power on the programmers console says:
    2 22
    and the maint light is on.

    What should I try next?

  2. Re: Reviving an 11/04

    jcwelch@hal-pc.org wrote:
    > My poor busted 11/04:
    > 1:M7863

    KD11-D, PDP-11/04 central processing unit (CPU).

    > 2:M7891

    MS11-Lx semiconductor RAM.
    Should have an additional two-letter code xy on another
    handle, which would indicate the size (x=A: 32KW,
    x=B: 64KW, x=C: 96KW, x=D: 128KW). Since the 11/04
    doesn't have a KT11 Memory Management Unit, 128KW (18
    bits) is the maximum addessable memory size. The
    upper 4KW of that space is actually used for device
    registers (i.e. for the other Unibus cards), not RAM.

    > 3:M9312 M7859

    M9312 is a ROM bootstrap/terminator module.
    M7859 is the interface to the KY11-LB "programmer's
    console".

    > 4:----- M7860
    > 5:----- M7860

    DR11-C, general-purpose single-channel parallel
    interfaces.

    > 6:GE Medical Systems T36S1KK (runs a Kennedy 9300)

    Wow, I never heard of that before. I wonder if
    it is a rebadged Able/Dilog/Emulex product. One
    hopes that it emulates some standard DEC interface
    such as TM11/TS03. (DEC OS device name usually
    "MT".)

    > 7:M7840

    KE11-B, Extended Arithmetic Element (EAE).
    Provides a few extended arithmetic instructions;
    when you build FORTRAN you must configure it to
    use EAE or else it is unlikely you will ever use
    this unit at all.

    > 8:M7762

    RL11 controller for RL01, RL02 cartridge disk
    drives. (DEC OS device name is usually "DL").

    > 9:M9302 M7856

    M9302 is the Unibus terminator.
    M7856 is a DL11-W serial interface, and should
    be configured as the "console terminal" port,
    to which you can attach any ASCII RS232-C
    terminal or a PC running a terminal emulator.

    > When power on the programmers console says:
    > 2 22
    > and the maint light is on.

    Wow, the MAINT light should not come on (if the
    equipment is functioning properly, including the
    interconnections properly made) unless you press
    a specific button sequence to enter maintenance
    mode. Press the CLR key just to see if that
    leaves maintenance mode. (My guess is that it
    won't, but it's worth trying just as a quick
    workaround until a permanent fix is found.)

    The 2 22 is supposd to be the MPC (Microcomputer
    Program Counter); the M7859 uses an 8008
    microprocessor with 1KB ROM and 16B of
    "scratchpad" RAM. However, I'm not sure that
    "2 22" is a valid display even in maintenance
    mode.

    > What should I try next?

    Check the M7859 connections to the control
    panel and to the processor board, also the power
    supply connections to the panel. Look especially
    for a ribbon cable having gotten pinched or one
    of its conductors cut, or pulled loose at a
    connector. Also check that they don't have one
    connector reversed, or, in the case of the M7263,
    plugged in offset by one pin position. The cable
    between the M7859-J1 and panel-J1 should have the
    red stripe on the edge nearest the side of each
    board (the "pin 1" arrow on one connector is at
    the red stripe while it is on the opposite side
    at the other end). Assuming you have a BA11-L
    box, the H777 power-supply 10-conductor cable
    connects to the panel-J2 with the red stripe
    away from the nearby edge of the board. BA11-K
    uses the H765 power supply which has twisted-pair
    wires with "fastabs" which connect to TB3,4,5,6.
    TB1,2 are for connections to the boot/terminator
    board and should have nothing to do with the
    observed problem. (If they are unplugged, the
    only effect is that the BOOT button doesn't boot.)

    You could actually disconnect the 10-conductor
    cable from the M7859 to the CPU (unlabeled
    connector pins on the M7263); it's needed only
    when using maintenance mode (which you don't
    want to be in, normally). (Then there would
    be no cable in either J2 or J3 of the M7859
    board.) If the cable is in place it goes to J2.

    There should be *no* ribbon cable from either
    the panel or the M7859 interface board to the
    backplane (that's used only for KY11-LA, not LB).

    Check that the power supply provides voltages
    within an acceptable range (+5V and -15V within
    a small fraction of a volt) with all cards
    installed).

    Check that all socketed ICs are seated firmly
    (esp. the microprocessor at E18 on the M7859)
    and that all the module cards are seated firmly.

    Look at the backplane (wire-wrapped) and check
    that there is no obvious damage to the wires.

    There is a technical description of the KY11-LB/
    M7859 along with operating instructions and some
    troubleshooting hints in DEC publication
    EK-KY1LB-MM-01, which I think you can find in PDF
    format at bitsavers.org.

  3. Re: Reviving an 11/04

    Douglas A. Gwyn wrote:
    > x=B: 64KW, x=C: 96KW, x=D: 128KW). Since the 11/04
    > doesn't have a KT11 Memory Management Unit, 128KW (18
    > bits) is the maximum addessable memory size. The
    > upper 4KW of that space is actually used for device
    > registers (i.e. for the other Unibus cards), not RAM.

    The maximum addressable size is only 32KW for the 11/04. You need the
    KT11 to access more memory.

    Christian

  4. Re: Reviving an 11/04

    Christian Corti schrieb:

    > The maximum addressable size is only 32KW for the 11/04. You need the
    > KT11 to access more memory.

    If you could put a KT11 into a 11/04, the result would be a 11/34.

    11/04 was never made for memory > 32 kw. Like in 11/05, the mapping of
    the 4k I/O page is done with static hardware.

    > Christian

  5. Re: Reviving an 11/04

    Christian Corti wrote:
    > The maximum addressable size is only 32KW for the 11/04. You need the
    > KT11 to access more memory.

    Oops, yes, thanks for the correction.
    I was thinking of a "Unibus map" (which is sort
    of an extension of the MMU).

+ Reply to Thread