Re: HELP with PDP-11/23 (RQDX) - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: HELP with PDP-11/23 (RQDX) - VMS ; At 02:02 AM 05/07/05 -0400, you wrote: >William Korvine wrote: >> I notice on E-bay an M7555 MFM controller card. It seems a different >> (later) vintage than the 11/23, but I was considering it. Do you know if >> ...

  1. Re: HELP with PDP-11/23 (RQDX)

    At 02:02 AM 05/07/05 -0400, you wrote:
    >William Korvine wrote:
    >> I notice on E-bay an M7555 MFM controller card. It seems a different
    >> (later) vintage than the 11/23, but I was considering it. Do you know if
    >> it would work? I should be able to dig up an MFM drive somewhere I think.

    Douglas A. Gwyn then gave a detailed reply (as usual).
    There is nothing in what Doug said that I can fault.

    However finding an affordable and functional MFM drive can be more
    of a problem than you might imagine. I watch and bid on Ebay, but
    even ignoring the compatibility issues with the RD5x series drives
    I can rarely find/afford them. But definately try, you probably can get
    an RX50 somewhere and a floppy based system is a lot better than a
    a system with no storage capacity. ALso in my experience one sees
    a lot more RQDX controllers than the cables and RQDXE distribion panel.
    Odd but seems to be the case.

    But the main reason I'm writting is to ask William a question. I've
    written you twice off list and apparently been ignored. I've no problem
    with that, but is it cause my notes are thrown out with the spam, or that
    you are uninterested in the TU58 emulation solution to your diskless
    PDP?

    Regards, Will

  2. Re: HELP with PDP-11/23 (RQDX)

    will kranz wrote in
    news:3.0.1.32.20050507100223.0077ac98@mail.SoftHom e.net:

    > At 02:02 AM 05/07/05 -0400, you wrote:
    >>William Korvine wrote:
    >>> I notice on E-bay an M7555 MFM controller card. It seems a different
    >>> (later) vintage than the 11/23, but I was considering it. Do you
    >>> know if it would work? I should be able to dig up an MFM drive
    >>> somewhere I think.

    > Douglas A. Gwyn then gave a detailed reply (as usual).
    > There is nothing in what Doug said that I can fault.
    >
    > However finding an affordable and functional MFM drive can be more
    > of a problem than you might imagine. I watch and bid on Ebay, but
    > even ignoring the compatibility issues with the RD5x series drives
    > I can rarely find/afford them. But definately try, you probably can
    > get an RX50 somewhere and a floppy based system is a lot better than a
    > a system with no storage capacity. ALso in my experience one sees
    > a lot more RQDX controllers than the cables and RQDXE distribion
    > panel. Odd but seems to be the case.
    >
    > But the main reason I'm writting is to ask William a question. I've
    > written you twice off list and apparently been ignored. I've no
    > problem with that, but is it cause my notes are thrown out with the
    > spam, or that you are uninterested in the TU58 emulation solution to
    > your diskless PDP?
    >
    > Regards, Will
    > quotes).

    Hi Will. I suppose I deserve that. The address that you probably wrote to,
    korvine@hotmail.com, is rarely checked simply because address harvesters
    cruise the newsgroups and fill the box.

    What I should have done is not list an e-mail address at all in my default
    newsgroup identification, which I will do in the future. I'm sorry I
    didn't get your message. I have just checked my hotmail account and found
    several messages that I never saw before.

    I will respond to your e-mail soon.

    ..wk.

+ Reply to Thread