Re: Running RT11 on Vaxen - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Running RT11 on Vaxen - VMS ; On Fri, 06 May 2005 11:04:40 -0400, will kranz wrote: >*Its my understanding that the Vax-750 had some sort of >*compatibility mode for RT11 (or is it generic 16 bit addressing)? >*Anyone know how to access and or control this? ...

  1. Re: Running RT11 on Vaxen

    On Fri, 06 May 2005 11:04:40 -0400, will kranz wrote:

    >*Its my understanding that the Vax-750 had some sort of
    >*compatibility mode for RT11 (or is it generic 16 bit addressing)?
    >*Anyone know how to access and or control this? *My diagnoistics
    >*tapes and consol tapes seem to be in RT11 format, not files11,
    >*although the home block format string is "DECVMSEXCHNG". *If I
    >*could run it as a PDP11 off the functional RL02 I might get further
    >*figuring out why the RA80 doesn't work.

    What runs on VMS are two host packages

    VAX-11/RSX which sets up the host resources to run non-priv RSX-11 task images so you can do task development and was commonly used for RSX-11S development.

    VAX-11 RTEM which sets up the host resources to run RT-11 SJ software that doesn't touch hardware. Many parts of RT-11 were maintained for several years on RTEM.

  2. Re: Running RT11 on Vaxen

    In article <200556173457.175529@notabob>, stuart@brook.ca says...
    > On Fri, 06 May 2005 11:04:40 -0400, will kranz wrote:
    >
    > >*Its my understanding that the Vax-750 had some sort of
    > >*compatibility mode for RT11 (or is it generic 16 bit addressing)?
    > >*Anyone know how to access and or control this? *My diagnoistics
    > >*tapes and consol tapes seem to be in RT11 format, not files11,
    > >*although the home block format string is "DECVMSEXCHNG". *If I
    > >*could run it as a PDP11 off the functional RL02 I might get further
    > >*figuring out why the RA80 doesn't work.

    > What runs on VMS are two host packages
    >
    > VAX-11/RSX which sets up the host resources to run non-priv
    > RSX-11 task images so you can do task development and was commonly
    > used for RSX-11S development.
    >
    > VAX-11 RTEM which sets up the host resources to run RT-11 SJ
    > software that doesn't touch hardware. Many parts of RT-11 were
    > maintained for several years on RTEM.

    For completeness' sake, there is/was also ROSS/V, which does the
    same thing for RSTS/E user-mode programs.

    VAX-11/RSX was a DEC product and now belongs to Mentec.

    VAX-11 RTEM was also a DEC product, but I don't know what happened
    to it.

    ROSS/V is an EGH product.

    --
    John

  3. Re: Running RT11 on Vaxen

    On Sun, 08 May 2005 07:17:59 GMT, John Santos
    wrote:

    >In article <200556173457.175529@notabob>, stuart@brook.ca says...
    >> On Fri, 06 May 2005 11:04:40 -0400, will kranz wrote:
    >>
    >> >*Its my understanding that the Vax-750 had some sort of
    >> >*compatibility mode for RT11 (or is it generic 16 bit addressing)?
    >> >*Anyone know how to access and or control this? *My diagnoistics
    >> >*tapes and consol tapes seem to be in RT11 format, not files11,
    >> >*although the home block format string is "DECVMSEXCHNG". *If I
    >> >*could run it as a PDP11 off the functional RL02 I might get further
    >> >*figuring out why the RA80 doesn't work.

    >> What runs on VMS are two host packages
    >>
    >> VAX-11/RSX which sets up the host resources to run non-priv
    >> RSX-11 task images so you can do task development and was commonly
    >> used for RSX-11S development.
    >>
    >> VAX-11 RTEM which sets up the host resources to run RT-11 SJ
    >> software that doesn't touch hardware. Many parts of RT-11 were
    >> maintained for several years on RTEM.

    >For completeness' sake, there is/was also ROSS/V, which does the
    >same thing for RSTS/E user-mode programs.
    >
    >VAX-11/RSX was a DEC product and now belongs to Mentec.
    >
    >VAX-11 RTEM was also a DEC product, but I don't know what happened
    >to it.
    >
    >ROSS/V is an EGH product.

    And for completeness completeness sake I did an RT-11 compatible AME
    which I used to market as VRT -- we sold very few but I used for
    development. It used my monitor sources, not the DEC code, and it
    worked as an AME permitting RT-11 programs to be run directly IIRC.
    The main advantages over RTEM were, (a) RTEM wasn't available when I
    first did it, (b) it ran out of VMS directories, not an RT-11 logical
    disk.

    (I refashioned it ten years ago to provide the same kind of service
    under the first version of my Windows PDP-11 emulator.)

  4. Re: Running RT11 on Vaxen

    paramucho wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 May 2005 07:17:59 GMT, John Santos
    > wrote:

    addressing)?

    diagnoistics

    further

    > >> What runs on VMS are two host packages
    > >>
    > >> VAX-11/RSX which sets up the host resources to run non-priv
    > >> RSX-11 task images so you can do task development and was commonly

    > >> used for RSX-11S development.
    > >>
    > >> VAX-11 RTEM which sets up the host resources to run RT-11 SJ
    > >> software that doesn't touch hardware. Many parts of RT-11 were
    > >> maintained for several years on RTEM.

    > >For completeness' sake, there is/was also ROSS/V, which does the
    > >same thing for RSTS/E user-mode programs.
    > >
    > >VAX-11/RSX was a DEC product and now belongs to Mentec.
    > >
    > >VAX-11 RTEM was also a DEC product, but I don't know what happened
    > >to it.
    > >
    > >ROSS/V is an EGH product.

    > And for completeness completeness sake I did an RT-11 compatible AME
    > which I used to market as VRT -- we sold very few but I used for
    > development. It used my monitor sources, not the DEC code, and it
    > worked as an AME permitting RT-11 programs to be run directly IIRC.
    > The main advantages over RTEM were, (a) RTEM wasn't available when I
    > first did it, (b) it ran out of VMS directories, not an RT-11 logical
    > disk.
    >
    > (I refashioned it ten years ago to provide the same kind of service
    > under the first version of my Windows PDP-11 emulator.)

    For completeness completeness completeness sake, I developed something
    very similar: basically an EMT handler that implemented a reasonable
    subset of RT-11 system calls under RSX-11M or VAX-11/RSX. Again, it was
    before the birth of RTEM. It enabled me to work on RT-11 projects
    without booting all the users off our multiuser machine or burning too
    much midnight oil. We didn't sell it, but I think it may be on a SIG
    tape somewhere.

    Chris

  5. Re: Running RT11 on Vaxen

    There was also an RT-11 emulation available for PDP-11 Unix,
    avaiable commercially from HCR of Toronto. We used it for
    running ADVENTure and for MACRO-11/LINK-11 to support some
    apps that would have been too costly to rewrite for Unix.

+ Reply to Thread