Netbooting a PDP-11 - VMS

This is a discussion on Netbooting a PDP-11 - VMS ; It has been mentioned here in the past that some PDP-11's with networking hardware support booting from the ethernet controller. Now I am curious. What OSes supported netbooting? What was required on a host to support this? Did this include ...

  1. Netbooting a PDP-11

    It has been mentioned here in the past that some PDP-11's with
    networking hardware support booting from the ethernet controller.

    Now I am curious. What OSes supported netbooting? What was
    required on a host to support this? Did this include the
    ability to run diskless and get all of their storage from
    another machine?

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  2. Re: Netbooting a PDP-11

    > What OSes supported netbooting?

    This was most commonly used for RSX-11S applications. Custom
    applications outside the 11S kernel exist too.

    > What was required on a host to support this?

    MOP. The hardware address of the Ethernet controller on the 11S node
    identifies which machine it is. I've seen RSX-11M, VMS, and even a few
    Unices (not all Ultrix!) used. On a DEC system MOP usually implies
    DECNET installed but not always.

    > Did this include the ability to run diskless and
    > get all of their storage from another machine?

    Typical RSX-11S applications don't really have a file system, just a
    kernel and an application.

    If you're familiar with DEC Terminal servers booting from a host via
    MOP, the process is very similar.

    Tim.

+ Reply to Thread