BDV11 settings on PDP-11/23 - VMS

This is a discussion on BDV11 settings on PDP-11/23 - VMS ; Hi again. I am amost ready to give my new PDP-11/23 first boot. I am going through all the boards and checking DIP switches. I intend to do a post for each one I have questions on. This one is ...

  1. BDV11 settings on PDP-11/23

    Hi again. I am amost ready to give my new PDP-11/23 first boot. I am going
    through all the boards and checking DIP switches. I intend to do a post
    for each one I have questions on. This one is the BDV11
    diagnostic/bootstrap/terminator (M8012).

    I got the BDV11 with the following switch settings:

    DIP Switch Position E15:
    A1: Off - Do NOT execute CPU test upon power-up or restaart.
    A2: On - Execute memory test upon power-up or restart.
    A3: Off - Do not do a DECnet boot (whatever that is).
    A4: On - Console test and dialogue (A3 Off)
    A5: Off \
    A6: Off \
    A7: On > Boot RLV11 (DL2??)
    A8: Off /
    DIP Switch Position E21:
    B1: On /
    B2: Off \
    B3: Off > No ROM boot.
    B4: Off /
    B5: Off

    Questions:

    0. There's been some discussion on the "HELP with PDP-11/23" thread
    about whether I should move the terminator up to be right below my lowest
    other card or whether I should leave it in the bottom slot with empty
    slots above it. My reading is that in my particular case (with no drive
    controllers at all), it doesn't really matter. I intend to try it at the
    bottom with empty slots above for now unless someone tells me it will
    damage my equipment.

    1. Should A1 be on. Seems a CPU test would be a good idea.
    2. What's a DECnet boot? Network boot?
    3. My RLV11 boards are futzed and will not be installed. Should I
    adjust A5-B1?
    4. With A4 on, I should get a START? prompt, right?
    5. Since I have no storage media whatsoever, I should hit "N" to enter
    ODT, right?
    6. The book is fuzzy on what else I could enter at the START? prompt.
    Is it something like "DL1"?
    7. There are two clips that hold the card cage down that are in the way
    of sliding the card into the bottom slot. I had to move them temporarily.
    Is that typical. I don't know how I got that card out.

    More later. Thanks for listening.

    ..wk.

  2. Re: BDV11 settings on PDP-11/23

    William Korvine wrote:
    > about whether I should move the terminator up to be right below my lowest
    > other card or whether I should leave it in the bottom slot with empty
    > slots above it. My reading is that in my particular case (with no drive
    > controllers at all), it doesn't really matter. I intend to try it at the
    > bottom with empty slots above for now unless someone tells me it will
    > damage my equipment.

    No, no damage, and I have changed my mind and now recommend
    putting the BDV11 in the last (bottom) slot.

    > 2. What's a DECnet boot? Network boot?

    You won't use those any time soon. It's a simple network
    protocol used to load RAM with a program from some other
    system ("host") on the local network.

  3. Re: BDV11 settings on PDP-11/23

    William Korvine wrote:

    > Hi again. I am amost ready to give my new PDP-11/23 first boot. I am
    > going through all the boards and checking DIP switches. I intend to
    > do a post for each one I have questions on. This one is the BDV11
    > diagnostic/bootstrap/terminator (M8012).
    >
    > I got the BDV11 with the following switch settings:
    >
    > DIP Switch Position E15:
    > A1: Off - Do NOT execute CPU test upon power-up or restaart.
    > A2: On - Execute memory test upon power-up or restart.
    > A3: Off - Do not do a DECnet boot (whatever that is).
    > A4: On - Console test and dialogue (A3 Off)
    > A5: Off \
    > A6: Off \
    > A7: On > Boot RLV11 (DL2??)
    > A8: Off /
    > DIP Switch Position E21:
    > B1: On /
    > B2: Off \
    > B3: Off > No ROM boot.
    > B4: Off /
    > B5: Off
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > 0. There's been some discussion on the "HELP with PDP-11/23"
    > thread about whether I should move the terminator up to be right
    > below my lowest other card or whether I should leave it in the bottom
    > slot with empty slots above it. My reading is that in my particular
    > case (with no drive controllers at all), it doesn't really matter. I
    > intend to try it at the bottom with empty slots above for now unless
    > someone tells me it will damage my equipment.
    >
    > 1. Should A1 be on. Seems a CPU test would be a good idea.
    > 2. What's a DECnet boot? Network boot?
    > 3. My RLV11 boards are futzed and will not be installed. Should I
    > adjust A5-B1?
    > 4. With A4 on, I should get a START? prompt, right?
    > 5. Since I have no storage media whatsoever, I should hit "N" to
    > enter ODT, right?
    > 6. The book is fuzzy on what else I could enter at the START?
    > prompt. Is it something like "DL1"?
    > 7. There are two clips that hold the card cage down that are in
    > the way of sliding the card into the bottom slot. I had to move them
    > temporarily. Is that typical. I don't know how I got that card out.
    >
    > More later. Thanks for listening.
    >
    > .wk.

    I recommend you leave the BDV11 in the last slot. The first switch is
    like a trick question. Off means to run the CPU tests and On means do
    NOT run the tests. A3 is the same NOT logic. The DECNET boot won't
    really have any effect unless you are hooked up to a network with
    DECNET protocol. Used similar to the TCP/IP's BOOTP and TFTP protocols
    to assign an address and download and executable image.

+ Reply to Thread