TK50 - VMS

This is a discussion on TK50 - VMS ; I am back in begging mode. Is there anyone who has TK50 drives (and maybe even a TK50Z) that they are interested in getting rid of? Knowing that they are getting rarer every day, I think it would be a ...

  1. TK50

    I am back in begging mode.

    Is there anyone who has TK50 drives (and maybe even a TK50Z) that
    they are interested in getting rid of? Knowing that they are
    getting rarer every day, I think it would be a real good idea if
    I could stockpile a few as I expect to continue to need them for
    some time yet.

    Oh yeah. Anybody got old TK50 tapes they need to get rid of too?

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  2. Re: TK50

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >I am back in begging mode.
    >
    >Is there anyone who has TK50 drives (and maybe even a TK50Z) that
    >they are interested in getting rid of? Knowing that they are
    >getting rarer every day, I think it would be a real good idea if
    >I could stockpile a few as I expect to continue to need them for
    >some time yet.

    I may have one or two, but to be honest they are very easy machines
    to repair. There isn't much to them.

    The only problem are the heads, which were made by Applied Magnetics
    and are no longer available. A couple head companies have said they
    would make replacements for me if I could order a couple hundred.

    >Oh yeah. Anybody got old TK50 tapes they need to get rid of too?

    Probably. How many do you need? I think we threw out a couple big
    stacks recently.
    --scott

  3. Re: TK50

    In article ,
    kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) writes:
    > Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >>I am back in begging mode.
    >>
    >>Is there anyone who has TK50 drives (and maybe even a TK50Z) that
    >>they are interested in getting rid of? Knowing that they are
    >>getting rarer every day, I think it would be a real good idea if
    >>I could stockpile a few as I expect to continue to need them for
    >>some time yet.

    > I may have one or two, but to be honest they are very easy machines
    > to repair. There isn't much to them.
    >
    > The only problem are the heads, which were made by Applied Magnetics
    > and are no longer available. A couple head companies have said they
    > would make replacements for me if I could order a couple hundred.

    I understand leaders are getting hard to find too and they tend to
    break with age as well. And you have to admit, age is one thing
    the TK50's have (meaning not many newer tapedrives like DAT lasted
    as long!)

    >>Oh yeah. Anybody got old TK50 tapes they need to get rid of too?

    > Probably. How many do you need? I think we threw out a couple big
    > stacks recently.

    Pretty much as many as I can afford to have shipped. :-)

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  4. Re: TK50

    Bill, I have some TK50Z-FA and TK50Z-GA drives here.
    Will any of those work?

    Let me know...
    =Marshall Ness
    Building Block Computers
    800-272-2650 x14

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > I am back in begging mode.
    >
    > Is there anyone who has TK50 drives (and maybe even a TK50Z) that
    > they are interested in getting rid of? Knowing that they are
    > getting rarer every day, I think it would be a real good idea if
    > I could stockpile a few as I expect to continue to need them for
    > some time yet.
    >
    > Oh yeah. Anybody got old TK50 tapes they need to get rid of too?
    >
    > bill
    >
    > --
    > Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three

    wolves
    > bill@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    > University of Scranton |
    > Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  5. Re: TK50

    In article <1114550718.655470.288790@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups. com>,
    "DEC Hardware guy" writes:
    > Bill, I have some TK50Z-FA and TK50Z-GA drives here.
    > Will any of those work?

    I'm not sure of the differences in particular models (FA vs. GA) but
    I assume pretty much any of them will work for my needs. I'mm just
    trying to make sure I have a few spares for the future as they just
    get rarer and I expect my PDP-11's to start getting heavier use as
    I turn the students loose on them.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  6. Re: TK50

    On 4/26/05 6:20 AM, in article 3d6tggF6rmdkpU1@individual.net, "Bill
    Gunshannon" wrote:

    > I am back in begging mode.
    >
    > Is there anyone who has TK50 drives (and maybe even a TK50Z) that
    > they are interested in getting rid of? Knowing that they are
    > getting rarer every day, I think it would be a real good idea if
    > I could stockpile a few as I expect to continue to need them for
    > some time yet.
    >
    > Oh yeah. Anybody got old TK50 tapes they need to get rid of too?
    >
    > bill

    I've often seen them on ebay for less than $10.00

  7. Re: TK50

    "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message
    > I'm not sure of the differences in particular models (FA vs. GA) but
    > I assume pretty much any of them will work for my needs.

    As I recall the -FA was the version for the MicroVAX 2000, but would not
    work in later Vaxes such as the 3100 series. I think the FA firmware lacked
    some SCSI commands. The GA firmware did work with the 3100s. I believe you
    can upgrade an FA version by just replacing the firmware ROMS on the SCSI
    adapter on top of the TK drive.
    Jack Pea****

  8. Re: TK50

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > In article <1114550718.655470.288790@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups. com>,
    > "DEC Hardware guy" writes:
    >
    >>Bill, I have some TK50Z-FA and TK50Z-GA drives here.
    >>Will any of those work?

    > I'm not sure of the differences in particular models (FA vs. GA) but
    > I assume pretty much any of them will work for my needs. I'mm just
    > trying to make sure I have a few spares for the future as they just
    > get rarer and I expect my PDP-11's to start getting heavier use as
    > I turn the students loose on them.

    The -FA is the MV2000 sorta-SCSI version, hardwired at SCSI ID 1.

    The -GA is the VS3100 full SCSI version.

    You can change a -FA to a -GA by replacing the ROMs and adding a SCSI ID
    switch. Alternately, skip the switch and use jumpers to set the ID.

    Chris Scheers, Applied Synergy, Inc.

    Voice: 817-237-3360 Internet: chris@applied-synergy.com
    Fax: 817-237-3074

  9. Re: TK50

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >In article ,
    > kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) writes:
    >>
    >> The only problem are the heads, which were made by Applied Magnetics
    >> and are no longer available. A couple head companies have said they
    >> would make replacements for me if I could order a couple hundred.

    >I understand leaders are getting hard to find too and they tend to
    >break with age as well. And you have to admit, age is one thing
    >the TK50's have (meaning not many newer tapedrives like DAT lasted
    >as long!)

    You can use the leaders from DLT drives and make them work. It
    can take some cutting and pasting but it's not that big a deal.
    --scott