Re: RSTS internals - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: RSTS internals - VMS ; At 1:41 AM +0000 3/27/05, Bill Gunshannon wrote: >In article , > Kevin Handy writes: > > There were internal manuals for V8 and V9, maybe others. >> I had the V8 version, but I don't know where it is ...

  1. Re: RSTS internals

    At 1:41 AM +0000 3/27/05, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >In article ,
    > Kevin Handy writes:
    > > There were internal manuals for V8 and V9, maybe others.
    >> I had the V8 version, but I don't know where it is at the moment.

    >Note, I said "published" above. In order to writer a clone you can not
    >use any informastion that is not released to the public. I would expect
    >that there are strings attached to what you can and can not do with the
    >official documentation.

    Define "Published". There are V8 (AA-CL35A-TE) and V10 (AA-PB60A-TC)
    Internals Manuals that were published by DEC. I can't remember about
    V9, I think it was DEC also, but I can't seem to put my hands on it
    at the moment, but I'm sure I have a copy somewhere. There is also
    "RSTS/E Monitor Internals" by Michael Mayfield, for V8 from
    "Northwest Digital Software".

    Zane

    | healyzh@aracnet.com (primary) | OpenVMS Enthusiast |
    | | Classic Computer Collector |

  2. Re: RSTS internals

    In article ,
    "Zane H. Healy" writes:
    > At 1:41 AM +0000 3/27/05, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >>In article ,
    >> Kevin Handy writes:
    >> > There were internal manuals for V8 and V9, maybe others.
    >>> I had the V8 version, but I don't know where it is at the moment.

    >>Note, I said "published" above. In order to writer a clone you can not
    >>use any informastion that is not released to the public. I would expect
    >>that there are strings attached to what you can and can not do with the
    >>official documentation.

    > Define "Published".

    For the sake of OS cloning, "Published" usually refers to descriptions
    and other information released to the public usually in the form of a
    for purchase book.

    > There are V8 (AA-CL35A-TE) and V10 (AA-PB60A-TC)
    > Internals Manuals that were published by DEC. I can't remember about
    > V9, I think it was DEC also, but I can't seem to put my hands on it
    > at the moment, but I'm sure I have a copy somewhere.

    One would need to read the agreement that came with the documentation.
    In most cases, such documentation can not be used for the purpose of
    cloning an OS.

    > There is also
    > "RSTS/E Monitor Internals" by Michael Mayfield, for V8 from
    > "Northwest Digital Software".

    This might, however, prove to be the book I am looking for. I wonder
    where I might find a copy?

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  3. Re: RSTS internals

    On 27 Mar 2005 16:52:01 GMT, bill@triangle.cs.uofs.edu (Bill
    Gunshannon) wrote:

    >In article ,
    > "Zane H. Healy" writes:
    >> At 1:41 AM +0000 3/27/05, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Note, I said "published" above. In order to writer a clone you can not
    >>>use any informastion that is not released to the public. I would expect
    >>>that there are strings attached to what you can and can not do with the
    >>>official documentation.

    Which may or may not be worth the paper the strings are printed on.

    >> Define "Published".

    >For the sake of OS cloning, "Published" usually refers to descriptions
    >and other information released to the public usually in the form of a
    >for purchase book.
    >
    >> There are V8 (AA-CL35A-TE) and V10 (AA-PB60A-TC)
    >> Internals Manuals that were published by DEC. I can't remember about
    >> V9, I think it was DEC also, but I can't seem to put my hands on it
    >> at the moment, but I'm sure I have a copy somewhere.

    >One would need to read the agreement that came with the documentation.
    >In most cases, such documentation can not be used for the purpose of
    >cloning an OS.

    This may or may not be true, depending on the jurisdiction you live in
    - many legal systems specifically permit reverse-engineering etc. for
    purposes of compatibility. Cloning RSTS to run on Intel, for instance,
    would certainly fall within this area, IMHO. And if the result should
    be an open-source RSTS clone that can be back-ported to pdp-11, so
    much the better :-)

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org