Problem: RD53 recognized as RX33 - VMS

This is a discussion on Problem: RD53 recognized as RX33 - VMS ; First of all a thank-you to all of you who replied to my earlier post on formatting an RD53. I've made some progress and run into another problem. I've found an XXDP disk which has ZRQCF0 on it. Using this ...

  1. Problem: RD53 recognized as RX33

    First of all a thank-you to all of you who replied to my earlier post
    on formatting an RD53. I've made some progress and run into another
    problem. I've found an XXDP disk which has ZRQCF0 on it. Using this
    disk, I obtained the following system information:

    Micro PDP-11/23-CPU
    Q-Bus system
    256K words of memory
    MSVII parity memory
    FP-floating point
    CLK 177546/100
    RQDX3 172150/154 DU0:=RX33, DU1:=RX50, DU2:=RX50
    DZV11 160100/310

    There you can see the RD53 is recognized by the system as RX33. The
    hard disk controller is M7555. The RD53 is connected to "J7 Fixed Disk
    0". If I disconnect the RD53, I would see

    RQDX3 172150/154 DU0:=RX50, DU2:=RX50

    Does this mean the RD53 was not configured properly? From the back of
    the RD53 I can see a couple jumpers. Do you know what the jumber
    configurations should be? This hard disk crashed and was rebuilt. I'm
    now trying to format it.

    Thanks very much in advance.

    S. Huang
    Physics
    Southwest Missouri State University

  2. Re: Problem: RD53 recognized as RX33

    winvicta@yahoo.com wrote:
    > First of all a thank-you to all of you who replied to my earlier post
    > on formatting an RD53. I've made some progress and run into another
    > problem. I've found an XXDP disk which has ZRQCF0 on it. Using this
    > disk, I obtained the following system information:
    >
    > Micro PDP-11/23-CPU
    > Q-Bus system
    > 256K words of memory
    > MSVII parity memory
    > FP-floating point
    > CLK 177546/100
    > RQDX3 172150/154 DU0:=RX33, DU1:=RX50, DU2:=RX50
    > DZV11 160100/310
    >
    > There you can see the RD53 is recognized by the system as RX33. The
    > hard disk controller is M7555. The RD53 is connected to "J7 Fixed Disk
    > 0". If I disconnect the RD53, I would see
    >
    > RQDX3 172150/154 DU0:=RX50, DU2:=RX50
    >
    > Does this mean the RD53 was not configured properly? From the back of
    > the RD53 I can see a couple jumpers. Do you know what the jumber
    > configurations should be? This hard disk crashed and was rebuilt. I'm
    > now trying to format it.

    I'm not familiar with the PDP-11 diagnostics, but it sounds like the
    drive was reformatted by a PC house and that the DEC specific
    information has not been written to it. In particular, it has a bad
    MediaID.

    See if the formatter correctly recognizes it. If it does, it should
    write the correct information to the drive and you should be set.

    One other thing: If the company that rebuilt the drive replaced the
    controller board, they may have put a stock Micropolis 1325 board on
    instead of the DEC (1325D) version. There is a place on the board
    marked R7. On a Micropolis board, this is empty. On a DEC board, it
    should have a zero ohm resistor, i.e., a jumper. At least on a MicroVAX
    2000, this jumper is necessary for the drive to be recognized by the
    diagnostics.

    Good luck!

    Chris Scheers, Applied Synergy, Inc.

    Voice: 817-237-3360 Internet: chris@applied-synergy.com
    Fax: 817-237-3074

  3. Re: Problem: RD53 recognized as RX33

    In vmsnet.pdp-11 Chris Scheers wrote:
    > winvicta@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> First of all a thank-you to all of you who replied to my earlier post
    >> on formatting an RD53. I've made some progress and run into another
    >> problem. I've found an XXDP disk which has ZRQCF0 on it. Using this
    >> disk, I obtained the following system information:
    >>
    >> Micro PDP-11/23-CPU
    >> Q-Bus system
    >> 256K words of memory
    >> MSVII parity memory
    >> FP-floating point
    >> CLK 177546/100
    >> RQDX3 172150/154 DU0:=RX33, DU1:=RX50, DU2:=RX50
    >> DZV11 160100/310
    >>
    >> There you can see the RD53 is recognized by the system as RX33. The
    >> hard disk controller is M7555. The RD53 is connected to "J7 Fixed Disk
    >> 0". If I disconnect the RD53, I would see
    >>
    >> RQDX3 172150/154 DU0:=RX50, DU2:=RX50
    >>
    >> Does this mean the RD53 was not configured properly? From the back of
    >> the RD53 I can see a couple jumpers. Do you know what the jumber
    >> configurations should be? This hard disk crashed and was rebuilt. I'm
    >> now trying to format it.

    > I'm not familiar with the PDP-11 diagnostics, but it sounds like the
    > drive was reformatted by a PC house and that the DEC specific
    > information has not been written to it. In particular, it has a bad
    > MediaID.

    > See if the formatter correctly recognizes it. If it does, it should
    > write the correct information to the drive and you should be set.

    Here is how I setup an RX50 floppy, with the programs required to
    format a RD31 drive.

    http://www.ba23.org/page0204.html#xxdprx50

    --
    Kirk Russell http://www.ba23.org/
    Bridlewood Software Testers Guild Ottawa Ontario Canada

+ Reply to Thread