On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Wolfe, Julian wrote:

> OK< setting up my magtape unit here on my 11/23, I'm trying to igure out
> what some terminology means. The DQ130 card emulates a "Streaming"
> device according to this page:
>
> http://www.kuno.de/kunden/kch/dilog.htm
>
> However, I found out by the manual to my Overland OD3201 magtape unit
> that it is a "Pertec Formatted" device.
>
> What does this all mean?

Streaming - the ability to dump data to the tape continously at "high"
speed. The tape format don't differ from when the drive isn't streaming,
but the speed at which the tape is written/read differs quite a lot.

Pertec formatted - just a logical interface (and electrical, I believe).
Compare it to SCSI if you want to.

Johnny

Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus