Using DECTapes on a 1980 vintage system is not really that odd when you
think about it. DecTapes were the floppies of the day and were used for
all sorts of user junk.

Think of it like having 1.44mb floppies on your system. My newest IBM
X-345 has one, as does my NeXT from 1988. That's a 17 year spread for
the technology, and I don't consider 3.5 floppies to be old by any means.

Chris