Re: vtserver to real tape copy - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: vtserver to real tape copy - VMS ; On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Wolfe, Julian wrote: > Hi all, > > Is it possible to take a distribution disk cartridge and put it on tape, > then run the install from tape? I have an RT11 pack I ...

  1. Re: vtserver to real tape copy

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Wolfe, Julian wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Is it possible to take a distribution disk cartridge and put it on tape,
    > then run the install from tape? I have an RT11 pack I want to do this
    > with, but only have 1 RL02 so I can't install.

    Hmmm. Instinctively, I'd say no. Installation from disk and tape normally
    differ, and the bootable image might very well be different.
    Never having used vtserver, nor exactly remembering how it works, I'm not
    absolutely certain though.

    Johnny

    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip

  2. Re: vtserver to real tape copy

    > Installation from disk and tape normally
    > differ, and the bootable image might very well be different.

    In the case of RT-11, a bootable tape has the device-specific boot
    blocks followed by a number of MDUP.* files. Each MDUP.* file is in
    fact a "frozen" image of a RT-11 system with a special version of DUP
    memory-resident, along with the appropriate magtape and disk drivers
    for doing an installation.

    MDUP is a special version of DUP that has had unnecessary parts
    stripped out and some minimal PIP-like abilities added in, just enough
    to initialize (and in some cases format and/or bad-block-scan) a disk
    and copy a minimal set of RT-11 files from tape to disk.

    Instructions for doing the incantations appropriate to making a
    specific MDUP are in the back of the RT-11 manuals. And they're mostly
    (but not completely) correct :-).

    Tim.

+ Reply to Thread