vtserver to real tape copy - VMS

This is a discussion on vtserver to real tape copy - VMS ; Hi all, Is it possible to take a distribution disk cartridge and put it on tape, then run the install from tape? I have an RT11 pack I want to do this with, but only have 1 RL02 so I ...

  1. vtserver to real tape copy

    Hi all,

    Is it possible to take a distribution disk cartridge and put it on tape,
    then run the install from tape? I have an RT11 pack I want to do this
    with, but only have 1 RL02 so I can't install.

    Thanks much!
    Julian

    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and
    miss." -Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

    Julian Wolfe
    Help Desk and Macintosh Technician
    College of Lake County
    Tel: 847-543-2258
    Fax: 847-543-3258
    email: jwolfe@clcillinois.edu

  2. Re: vtserver to real tape copy

    > Is it possible to take a distribution disk cartridge and put it on
    tape,
    > then run the install from tape? I have an RT11 pack I want to do this
    > with, but only have 1 RL02 so I can't install.

    On a full RT-11 distribution kit there are command files MSB.COM,
    MUB.COM, and MTB.COM for building the three different types of magtape
    RT-11 distributions.

    There are other things you can do with only a single disk, like copy
    the minimal files needed to run RT-11 and PIP and DUP and whatever
    other utitlities you need to VM0: and boot from VM0:.

    Not to belittle RT-11, but if you've got a bootable installation disk
    then you don't need to "install". It's nice to preserve a backup copy,
    of course, but the results of a RT-11 installation is pretty much
    what you have on that disk already.

    Tim.

  3. Re: vtserver to real tape copy

    >>Wolfe, Julian wrote:

    >>Is it possible to take a distribution disk cartridge and put it on tape,
    >>then run the install from tape? I have an RT11 pack I want to do this
    >>with, but only have 1 RL02 so I can't install.

    >Tim Shoppa wrote:

    >On a full RT-11 distribution kit there are command files MSB.COM,
    >MUB.COM, and MTB.COM for building the three different types of magtape
    >RT-11 distributions.

    >There are other things you can do with only a single disk, like copy
    >the minimal files needed to run RT-11 and PIP and DUP and whatever
    >other utitlities you need to VM0: and boot from VM0:.

    >Not to belittle RT-11, but if you've got a bootable installation disk
    >then you don't need to "install". It's nice to preserve a backup copy,
    >of course, but the results of a RT-11 installation is pretty much
    >what you have on that disk already.

    Jerome Fine replies:

    FIRST, you do not mention which version of RT-11 you
    have. While that is not really critical, the answers
    I provide are probably more for V05.03 of RT-11 than
    for earlier versions. And stating the hardware you
    use would also be useful.

    I think that a few additional suggestions would be helpful.

    (a) About the only difference between an "install" for
    RT-11 on an RL02 pack and the distribution pack is the
    volume ID / Owner and the monitor which is booted after
    turning on the hardware.

    (b) If you have an installation distribution disk, then
    if you leave the WRITE PROTECT switch for the RL02 ON
    when you do a hardware boot, then RT-11 will drop OUT
    of the "install" command file back into RT-11. You can
    the leave the WRITE PROTECT switch ON and boot a different
    distribution monitor such as:
    BOOT RT11XM
    BOOT RT11FB
    and be sure that nothing changes on the RL02 installation
    distribution disk.

    (c) Due to the age of any PDP-11 hardware, unless you run
    RT-11 ONLY to demonstrate that you can run RT-11, making
    a backup is probably essential. If you can find a second
    RL02 drive and some additional RL02 packs, they will
    probably not cost very much, if anything.

    (d) You seem to have a tape drive - very useful, although
    a bit slower than a second RL02. If you have even 512 KBytes
    of memory (although 1 MByte would be better) and are using
    V05.0x of RT-11, setting up the files needed to run a VM:
    disk (in memory) would allow you to copy the complete
    distribution RL02 to a tape file, followed making a second
    copy back to a second RL02 disk. If you then have a third
    RL02 pack, you could then set up a working set of files
    and never loose the distribution RL02 pack.

    MORE suggestions if you reply.

    Sincerely yours,

    Jerome Fine
    --
    To obtain the original e-mail address, please remove
    the ten characters which immediately follow the 'at'.

+ Reply to Thread