Re: What is this RK05 style pack? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: What is this RK05 style pack? - VMS ; >>>>> "Ashley" == Ashley Carder writes: Ashley> A couple months ago I acquired a new, still in the plastic Ashley> wrap, still in the box, never opened disk pack that at first Ashley> glance appeared to be an RK05. I ...

  1. Re: What is this RK05 style pack?

    Ashley> A couple months ago I acquired a new, still in the plastic
    Ashley> wrap, still in the box, never opened disk pack that at first
    Ashley> glance appeared to be an RK05. I finally decided to look
    Ashley> further at it to see if it was a 12 sector or 16 sector RK05
    Ashley> pack, since it had no identifying label or markings.

    Ashley> Upon further inspection, I found that it did not have the
    Ashley> usual rim on the hub, where normally you would be able to
    Ashley> count the thin notches to determine whether it was a 16
    Ashley> sector or 12 sector RK05. Instead, it has a short, rounded,
    Ashley> unnotched rim where normally it would have the tall thin rim
    Ashley> with notches. Otherwise it looks just like an RK05. The
    Ashley> case is interchangeable. I actually took it apart so I could
    Ashley> use the case on another RK05 pack that had a decent platter
    Ashley> but a bad outer case.

    Ashley> What is this thing? RK03?

    I have no idea, but here's a far out thought... some IBM 360
    mainframes (the 360 model 44 for example) have an RK05 style drive in
    them. Reading the 360 model 44 functional description (on
    bitsavers.org) suggests that probably isn't right -- that disk (Model
    2315) is described as having 16 fixed size sectors. Hm, that would
    mean an RK08 pack would fit???

    Strange to have hard sectoring here, given that IBM 360 mass storage
    normally used variable-size records on a track.

    paul

  2. Re: What is this RK05 style pack?

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:45:00 -0500, Paul Koning
    wrote:

    > Ashley> A couple months ago I acquired a new, still in the plastic
    > Ashley> wrap, still in the box, never opened disk pack that at first
    > Ashley> glance appeared to be an RK05. I finally decided to look
    > Ashley> further at it to see if it was a 12 sector or 16 sector RK05
    > Ashley> pack, since it had no identifying label or markings.
    >
    > Ashley> Upon further inspection, I found that it did not have the
    > Ashley> usual rim on the hub, where normally you would be able to
    > Ashley> count the thin notches to determine whether it was a 16
    > Ashley> sector or 12 sector RK05. Instead, it has a short, rounded,
    > Ashley> unnotched rim where normally it would have the tall thin rim
    > Ashley> with notches. Otherwise it looks just like an RK05. The
    > Ashley> case is interchangeable. I actually took it apart so I could
    > Ashley> use the case on another RK05 pack that had a decent platter
    > Ashley> but a bad outer case.
    >
    > Ashley> What is this thing? RK03?
    >
    >I have no idea, but here's a far out thought... some IBM 360
    >mainframes (the 360 model 44 for example) have an RK05 style drive in
    >them. Reading the 360 model 44 functional description (on
    >bitsavers.org) suggests that probably isn't right -- that disk (Model
    >2315) is described as having 16 fixed size sectors. Hm, that would
    >mean an RK08 pack would fit???

    Could be - some IBM systems did use Diablo-type RK03'-type drives.

    Shame you recycled it - it's much harder to find these IBM packs than
    the DEC items, especially new ones!!!

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    "All I know is that I'm being sued for unfair business practices by Microsoft. Hello pot? It's kettle on line two" -

  3. Re: What is this RK05 style pack?

    Paul Koning wrote:
    > Ashley> sector or 12 sector RK05. Instead, it has a short, rounded,
    > Ashley> unnotched rim where normally it would have the tall thin rim
    > Ashley> with notches. Otherwise it looks just like an RK05. The
    > bitsavers.org) suggests that probably isn't right -- that disk (Model
    > 2315) is described as having 16 fixed size sectors. Hm, that would
    > mean an RK08 pack would fit???

    IBM 2315 disks were introduced with the IBM 1130 and have 8 hard
    sectors. The disk pack with the unnotched rim could be a HP disk pack
    for the 7900 series disk drives (e.g. 7905 or 7906). They are completely
    soft sectored and use a servo surface on the fixed platter (in the
    drive) for positioning. Otherwise they look just like a RK05 or IBM2315.

    Christian

+ Reply to Thread