Re: question about writing a CLI under RSX - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: question about writing a CLI under RSX - VMS ; On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Rob Brown wrote: > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, P. Scott Harris wrote: > >> Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. >> >> "Billy" wrote >> >>> - modify the existing PMC cli, the lack of ...

  1. Re: question about writing a CLI under RSX

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Rob Brown wrote:

    > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, P. Scott Harris wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.
    >>
    >> "Billy" wrote
    >>
    >>> - modify the existing PMC cli, the lack of source makes this difficult

    >> Unfortunately true.
    >>
    >>> - write a new PMC that mimics the original and adds your current
    >>> requirements

    >> The current CL:I is quite comprehensive and customised for machine control
    >> so this would be a major pain.
    >>
    >>> - use an indirect command file (.cmd) to add your new requirements

    > I looked at the sample CLI files that Billy mentioned, and skimmed the
    > documentation about writing a CLI. The solution that suggests itself to me
    > is:
    >
    > - write a new CLI (PSH?) to implement your new commands. Your new
    > CLI will pass all unrecognized commands on to PMC.
    >
    > It should be OK to send you the sample CLI source files for you to examine.
    > Let me know how I can get them to you.

    I have not seen anything before this part, but I gather we're talking
    about a need for a CLI with some specific commands, right?

    Have any of you considered CCL? It's an already written CLI, in which you
    can define your own commands to at will, with a fairly good design for
    parsing parameters and executing different other commands based on the
    command given along with parameters.

    I honestly can't see much need for writing additional CLIs unles you have
    some rather odd requirements.

    Johnny

    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip

  2. Re: question about writing a CLI under RSX

    Well, it's possible. I don't know anything about CCL but I'll look it up on
    the DECUS CD (assuming it's there). The PMC CLI is installed at startup and
    restricts the user to a set of custom commands and locks out anything else,
    including access to MCR commands (except through the RSX command shell and
    access to RSX can be restricted on a user by user basis i.e. there are user
    accounts with controllable rights to each command). All commands are related
    to monitoring or controlling an industrial machine.

    If CCL will let the system operate exactly as normal under PMC, with the
    extra capability of recognising an additional few commands and launching a
    task through MCR, then it's worth looking at. Thanks for the feedback.

    Regards,

    P. Scott Harris, P.Eng.

    restricting each user to all (supervisor)
    > Have any of you considered CCL? It's an already written CLI, in which you
    > can define your own commands to at will, with a fairly good design for
    > parsing parameters and executing different other commands based on the
    > command given along with parameters.
    >
    > I honestly can't see much need for writing additional CLIs unles you have
    > some rather odd requirements.
    >
    > Johnny

+ Reply to Thread