RE: 11/23+ console SLU settings, etc. - VMS

This is a discussion on RE: 11/23+ console SLU settings, etc. - VMS ; On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Julian Wolfe wrote: >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Frank Arnold [mailto:fm.arnold@gmx.net] >> Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 11:11 AM >> To: Julian Wolfe; info-pdp11@village.org >> Subject: Re: 11/23+ console SLU settings, etc. >> >> Julian ...

  1. RE: 11/23+ console SLU settings, etc.

    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Julian Wolfe wrote:

    I hope we're not talking a PC DB9 to a DEC DB9. (Actually, it's a DE9, but
    nobody ever cares about the correct name... :-) )

    DEC used a DB9 which is not pin compatible with a PC DB9...

    Anyhow, if you can receive data from the PDP-11 to the PC, but not send
    from the PC to the PDP-11, either the PC isn't sending, or the receiver on
    the PDP-11 is broke.

    This is easy to verify. From the PC - short pin 2 & 3, and then type on
    the PC. The characters should echo back on the PC. If this don't happen,
    then your problem is with the PC. If the characters do echo, then your
    problem is with the PDP-11.

    Johnny

    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip

  2. Re: 11/23+ console SLU settings, etc.

    Johnny Billquist wrote:
    > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Julian Wolfe wrote:

    Well yes, I do....Its incorrect and sloppy to misname something (but I
    know what you mean) If you order a DB9 expecting a DE9, you will be
    surprised at what you will receive.... You would not write (r)+ or you
    meant -(r) would you? Speaking of sloppy, this approach of 'get some
    connectors that fit their respective receptacles and throw the wires
    together is really a poor approach to making something work. If one is
    going to connect something together in a computer, especially RS-232
    (the most non-standard standard), one better know what the signals on
    the pins actually are, and, what the signals really mean and how they
    are to be used to enable communication. (Hmmmm don't engineering schools
    expose students to RS-232 anymore?) There are many good books on RS-232
    communications protocol - The book by John McNamara comes to mind (DEC
    press, 1982 I believe). John Wilsons post pretty much sums up
    additional comments....
    -John