RE: PDP11 configurator/website idea - VMS

This is a discussion on RE: PDP11 configurator/website idea - VMS ; On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 12:53, Johnny Billquist wrote: > I have to say, that after looking at the code BLISS-16 generated, I was > extremely impressed. I even learned one or two tricks for MACRO-11 > programming from looking at ...

  1. RE: PDP11 configurator/website idea

    On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 12:53, Johnny Billquist wrote:

    > I have to say, that after looking at the code BLISS-16 generated, I was
    > extremely impressed. I even learned one or two tricks for MACRO-11
    > programming from looking at that. Absolutely the best code I've ever seen
    > something generate.

    I was at CMU in the CS department (actually EE but it's a long story)
    and we did (almost) everything in either Bliss-10, Bliss-11 or SAIL. We
    were very happy with the code that was generated (almost all of Hydra
    was written in Bliss-11).

    Here's a story about Bliss-11's code generation:
    Because Bliss-11 was a cross compiler under TOPS-10 (and was a
    multiple pass compiler) it would have to swap out in order to
    bring in the next pass. This was done for every routine
    (function for you 'C' types). To keep the swap-in/swap-out as
    fast as possible, you tended to write small (1 page) routines.
    After each routine, the compiler would tell you how many
    instructions it generated (it was not unusual to see only 20
    instructions emitted for a meaningful routine).

    One day, someone was compiling a routine that was 4-1/2 pages
    long, a huge routine in Bliss. The compiler emitted something
    under 120 instructions...whow! Compiler must have screwed up!
    It took almost 3 days of various people (including the compiler
    writers) to figure out that yes, indeed Bliss had generated
    correct code!
    --

    TTFN - Guy

  2. Re: PDP11 configurator/website idea

    In article <1103752353.5949.18.camel@localhost.localdomain>,
    Guy Sotomayor writes:

    > I was at CMU in the CS department (actually EE but it's a long story)

    I can't imagine why, at various times CS has fallen under, EE, Math
    and yes, in one case I know, Geography. :-)

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

+ Reply to Thread